5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can i tow trailer with ram 1500

Laramie blk

Reaction score
I am new to owning a truck and also owning a trailer and i just bought 2020 Laramie crewcab 4x4 5.7 hemi 3.92 gear ratio (no air bags sus) thinking it would be enough to pull my
2019 Dutchmen - Coleman Lantern 274BH
length- 28.58ft
dry weight-4714
payload capacity-2886
hitch wt- 573
I thought I had gotten enough truck going off just towing capacity of truck as advertised and not doing sufficient research and now im thinking this setup up will not work out as i had hoped for. I did drive it around on highway and it felt ok but it did feel like it was tugging a bit. I was just looking input or tips from experienced tow haulers on if this doable or it will just be to unsafe thanks again for your time

Attachments

• RAM 2020 TT.jpg
    RAM 2020 TT.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 54

xspeedy

Reaction score
You are more likely to hit payload limits than outright towing limits. Look at your specific vehicle’s payload rating and then consider the weight on the tongue when the trailer is loaded along with you, any pax, and any cargo you place into the truck itself. All of that counts as payload.

LoNeStAr

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As stated by xspeedy you need to know what your available payload for your truck is. Being a Laramie I figure you are 1400 lbs and change. This info is on the yellow stocker inside the drives door jamb.

Once you have this information you will need to know total weight you plan to add to the truck. Passengers, tongue weight of trailer loaded with all your gear and then head to a certified scale.

myles

Reaction score
Specs wise you should be fine, I'm assuming you have a 9-10k towing capacity around 1400+ payload. These longer camper trailers always seem to make 1500s tug-n-pull a bit, especially if its windy. Also I recommend getting 10 ply tires. Makes a big difference towing. The stock 6 play passenger car tires are too squishy for towing anything bigger than a couple thousand pounds. Pulling a trailer is definitely something that you just need to get used to, and a 28' trailer is definitely a long starter trailer, but just cruise at 55mph in the slow lane until you get used to pulling it and how small movements become big movements at the back of the trailer.

Laramie blk

Reaction score
As stated by xspeedy you need to know what your available payload for your truck is. Being a Laramie I figure you are 1400 lbs and change. This info is on the yellow stocker inside the drives door jamb.

Once you have this information you will need to know total weight you plan to add to the truck. Passengers, tongue weight of trailer loaded with all your gear and then head to a certified scale.
I checked it said payload with passengers should not exceed 1650 so I think I will go to cat scale and see what those number look like thanks for the info

Laramie blk

Reaction score
Specs wise you should be fine, I'm assuming you have a 9-10k towing capacity around 1400+ payload. These longer camper trailers always seem to make 1500s tug-n-pull a bit, especially if its windy. Also I recommend getting 10 ply tires. Makes a big difference towing. The stock 6 play passenger car tires are too squishy for towing anything bigger than a couple thousand pounds. Pulling a trailer is definitely something that you just need to get used to, and a 28' trailer is definitely a long starter trailer, but just cruise at 55mph in the slow lane until you get used to pulling it and how small movements become big movements at the back of the trailer.
Thanks for the information definitely gives a little bit more relief I am going look into those 10 ply tires

Pyleketerson

Reaction score
There is a lot of great info in the towing section if you need to get down to specifics. Our local towing experts have offered quite a bit of good info. Good luck! Nice truck and trailer.

Users who are viewing this thread