5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can I add Auxiliary Lights to the Reverse Lights?

2015MustangGT

Reaction score
Well, since I have 8 weeks before it comes in, I have lots of time to learn and wonder about stuff. My last Ram was a 2000 extended cab 4x4 2500 sport w/ Cummins and that was back in 2000.

I had a hard time backing up with tinted windows so I added auxiliary lights on either side of the back bumper and connected with a relay between the reverse wire and battery charging wire for the break away battery just before the trailer plug and it worked great!

I would like to do something like this on the new truck possibly using a LED light bar. I’m justnow finding out that lots of things have to be turned on or programmed into the computer now.
Has anyone added auxiliary lighting triggered by the reverse wire and did the computer have to be updated?

Thank you!

Eric

firemedic10584

Ram Guru
Reaction score
a bunch of us have add the LED strip light that mounts to the license plate simply by tapping into the reverse signal wire. I personally have done this mod and no computer update was needed. Just mount the light, tap into the correct wiring and call it a day.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy, there are also installs on 60" light bars. Plenty of options to dwell on.

2015MustangGT

Reaction score
Thank y’all! It’s good to know this one will be simple and I have better light options 20 years later.

ironking

Reaction score
I have a set from Baja Designs. They’re super bright and mount easily near the tail pipes and tap in to the trailer reverse wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ymmot711

Reaction score
a bunch of us have add the LED strip light that mounts to the license plate simply by tapping into the reverse signal wire. I personally have done this mod and no computer update was needed. Just mount the light, tap into the correct wiring and call it a day.
Can you send a link to what LED light you’re talking about?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Can you send a link to what LED light you’re talking about?
VLEDS LPR. One of the best things I did for my truck.

Ignore the warning about it not fitting the 2019+ Ram 1500. It fits, but you might need to drill into the plastic and mount your license plate slightly lower. I had to do that in my 2019, but I did not need to with my 2021.

Wilsonwanderings

Reaction score
I have a SP-9100 and tapped one of the trigger wires into the fuse for the trailer tow backup fuse. I use this to power some BD Squadrons mounted to my front runner rack. It works great but unfortunately it is a cartridge fuse (F08) and I’ve yet to find a fuse tap solution that doesn’t look like a total hack job. Anybody have any suggestions on how to improve it?

JaJoTu

Reaction score
I bought a 7 blade trailer wire plug from O’Reilly’s and wired all my accessory lights to that so that I wouldn’t have to modify the factory wiring. The backup lights wire to the center pin and the ground. No computer modifications required.
Also, my bed lighting wired to the auxiliary pin and then ram to a push button switch. Just for fun, I added some blue ground lighting to the frame and wired it to the tail light pin. Everything works flawlessly and I didn’t have to tap into any factory wiring.

Pcustoms

Reaction score
I bought a 7 blade trailer wire plug from O’Reilly’s and wired all my accessory lights to that so that I wouldn’t have to modify the factory wiring. The backup lights wire to the center pin and the ground. No computer modifications required.
Also, my bed lighting wired to the auxiliary pin and then ram to a push button switch. Just for fun, I added some blue ground lighting to the frame and wired it to the tail light pin. Everything works flawlessly and I didn’t have to tap into any factory wiring.

I did this at first (I had an extra plug), then I bought a curt 5 pin harness from Amazon. I cut the plug off and wired my LED to that. Then I unplugged the factory harness from the bumper and installed the adapter. I can go 100% back to stock in 2 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread