5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camshaft replacement at the dealer

mrboost

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

Guys please tell me how long did you wait at the dealer for a camshaft replacement under warranty? I'm confused.
The dealer confirmed that a camshaft replacement was needed, but at the moment they can't order it. Since they are not available anywhere and I have to wait a month for another 3.
(NY and a regular 2020 ram 1500 5.7 etorque) The car has been in service for a week and nothing is happening. Even on the Mopar website they have 23 in stock with delivery tomorrow. It feels like they are trying to fool me.
I offered them if I buy the camshaft myself and bring it to them, but they refuse. A whole detective story.
Has anyone been in a similar situation? For me, this is all completely new, I have never used warranty repairs

Thanks!

Hello everyone.

Guys please tell me how long did you wait at the dealer for a camshaft replacement under warranty? I'm confused.
The dealer confirmed that a camshaft replacement was needed, but at the moment they can't order it. Since they are not available anywhere and I have to wait a month for another 3.
(NY and a regular 2020 ram 1500 5.7 etorque) The car has been in service for a week and nothing is happening. Even on the Mopar website they have 23 in stock with delivery tomorrow. It feels like they are trying to fool me.
I offered them if I buy the camshaft myself and bring it to them, but they refuse. A whole detective story.
Has anyone been in a similar situation? For me, this is all completely new, I have never used warranty repairs

Thanks!
I wish I could give you some good advice.
My motor needed to be replaced under warranty. It took 4 months and nothing was done for over 3. I do believe the dealer I had it at is overwhelmed with work. Not sure if warranty work takes a back seat as it pays the dealership and mechanic less. . I was told that the motor was 15k under warranty and 20k if I had to pay out of pocket. I also believe Stellantis changed the way the dealerships communicate with warranty work.

I wish you well with Ram Cares. They were useless. I got a phone call and email AFTER the job was done. I had previously used them and it was a positive experience, this time, useless as previous stated. It has been "farmed out" and question what exactly their job entails.
I believe they may be able/try to expedite parts, no harm in trying and staying on top of them.

If you need a camshaft I tend to believe other parts are involved (lifters) and the tech can be opening up a can of worms. In my case there were metal parts in various places.

Wish you well, hang tight and keep a copy of the serenity prayer.

try ram cares

I wish I could give you some good advice.
My motor needed to be replaced under warranty. It took 4 months and nothing was done for over 3. I do believe the dealer I had it at is overwhelmed with work. Not sure if warranty work takes a back seat as it pays the dealership and mechanic less. . I was told that the motor was 15k under warranty and 20k if I had to pay out of pocket. I also believe Stellantis changed the way the dealerships communicate with warranty work.

I wish you well with Ram Cares. They were useless. I got a phone call and email AFTER the job was done. I had previously used them and it was a positive experience, this time, useless as previous stated. It has been "farmed out" and question what exactly their job entails.
I believe they may be able/try to expedite parts, no harm in trying and staying on top of them.

If you need a camshaft I tend to believe other parts are involved (lifters) and the tech can be opening up a can of worms. In my case there were metal parts in various places.

Wish you well, hang tight and keep a copy of the serenity prayer.
Thank you, I contacted them. They promised to call the dealer and find out what the matter is. I hope there is not much criminal there.
Want to believe that I will get away with replacing the lifters and camshaft.
I understand if they told me that they have a lot of work in the workshop. But when they take you for a fool and say that there is no camshaft in stock anywhere and they can’t do anything about it. This is already beyond all bounds.
Just for statistics, the car has only 30k miles on it.

The camshaft for the etoque is on backorder with 0 in depots/PDC. Current eta is Nov 5th. If dealers won't release their inventory, it's difficult to get parts. Sucks for everyone

The camshaft for the etoque is on backorder with 0 in depots/PDC. Current eta is Nov 5th. If dealers won't release their inventory, it's difficult to get parts. Sucks for everyone
Hello. Do you work for a dealer? Can you please comment on why they sell this online but the camshafts are not available to the dealer? Here is the official mopar website. I called another dealer today and they said they will deliver, couple of days wait.

Regards.

Attachments

• IMG_6563.jpeg
    IMG_6563.jpeg
    86.4 KB · Views: 8
Hello. Do you work for a dealer? Can you please comment on why they sell this online but the camshafts are not available to the dealer? Here is the official mopar website. I called another dealer today and they said they will deliver, couple of days wait.

Regards.

You have an etorque equipped 5.7? What part number you get when you looked up the part?

I don't think that is the correct cam, 2020 Ram 5.7 Etorque camshaft part #68279273AA. The number you provided is for non Etorque 5.7.

This number shows on the website if I enter my VIN and it says compatible with gas/electric
The number you sent, yesterday 2 parts were available on the official Mopar website, today already a backorder. There is a problem here, I agree. But they still appear on sale

This number shows on the website if I enter my VIN and it says compatible with gas/electric
The number you sent, yesterday 2 parts were available on the official Mopar website, today already a backorder. There is a problem here, I agree. But they still appear on sale
OK. I look up parts on the Chrysler parts catalog daily. I promise you the number I gave is correct. Now imagine if the dealer let you buy your own part, they install your part(that is incorrect). Who pays for any issues that may happen?

The backorder sucks, the cam will be available sooner than a replacement engine. If they order the part VOR/Special handling they will get it soon, within a week.

EASTCHESTER CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE BRONX NY USA this dealer has 4 of the camshaft you need. That isn't too far from you is it?

OK. I look up parts on the Chrysler parts catalog daily. I promise you the number I gave is correct. Now imagine if the dealer let you buy your own part, they install your part(that is incorrect). Who pays for any issues that may happen?

The backorder sucks, the cam will be available sooner than a replacement engine. If they order the part VOR/Special handling they will get it soon, within a week.

EASTCHESTER CHRYSLER JEEP DODGE BRONX NY USA this dealer has 4 of the camshaft you need. That isn't too far from you is it?
I wouldn't buy the wrong part because there is a forum and such responsive people like you! Thank you! 🤝
Yes, it's an hour's drive from me. And one more confirmation that they are available.

Have a great day!

And one more confirmation that they are available.
That is if, the dealer will sell it. The part is on backorder w/ no stock in the PDC/depots. Some dealers do not buy from other dealers, some dealers will not sell to other dealers at a reasonable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back