5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camshaft Replacement at 60k miles...

PanzerFreak

Reaction score
Just wanted to share what happened with my 2019 RAM 1500 Bighorn (3.6L with e-torque). For about a month I noticed a very slight ticking noise that became more frequent as the vehicle increased in speed. The dealer initially thought "it's likely exhaust related bolts". I took the truck in just below 60,000 miles while under the original factory warranty (also covered until 100,000 miles or nearly the end of 2026 with a certified preowned warranty).

Long story short short the dealer reported "The right intake cam was worn causing damage to right exhaust cam", tech notes also said "removed the right valve cover and found intake cam wore out and exhaust cam lobes scratched up". The list of service and parts replaced replaced is rather extensive (the right cams, intake rockers, phasers, vvl sensor, and much more). This had to be $2,000 - $4,000 in parts and labor I take it from a dealer?

Thankfully everything was covered under warranty but it does make me nervous how the vehicle will perform long term. The oil was replaced again during this service and I plan to replace it in 3,000 miles, a bit early, and have an oil analysis done. The engine ticking is not only gone but the entire vehicle just seems drives smoother with this work done.

Users who are viewing this thread