5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CA legal CAI

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why worry about it? Your truck won't need a smog test until it's 5 years old in California.

On the 5th year, when you have to go to your first smog test, just remove the intake and put the old one on for the test.

After that, you only have to do a smog test every other year. So half an hour worth of work every other year to switch out the intake should be no problem. That is assuming the smog test center even cares. My Mustang GT doesn't have a CARB certified intake and it passes every single time.

As for all my primary vehicles, I have a habit of trading them in every 4-5 years, so I haven't had to do a smog test on my daily drivers for over a decade.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Didn't think about that. But, some online dealers won't even sell or ship to CA.

Never had an issue, most dealers I've seen have no issues shipping to CA for non-CARB stuff, especially since you can use them on "non-road" applications and its up to the end user to use it legally. Just bought a set of headers for my Mustang, non-CARB complaint.

canative

Reaction score
OK, then what is the best CAI for overall performance.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
OK, then what is the best CAI for overall performance.

For the RAM, I'm not sure to be honest, most of them won't release or state actual performance gains. I have heard good things about the SB Filters cold-air intake, about $300. But again, they won't state actual performance gains, only airflow gains. Also not CARB legal, even though the company is based in Fontana, CA. But that won't matter for the next 5 years right :)

Also, check with your dealership service adviser on warranty issues with a non-Mopar intake. Unlike a cat-back exhaust, there could be an issue with an intake if you want to maintain your motor warranty.

That's a big reason why people have been waiting for the cold-air Mopar intake to finally get approved is to maintain that warranty. Ironically, a big reason for the delay has been getting CARB approval. You would think they would release it for non-CARB states, but CARB currently represents 14 states which make up 50% of all new car sales. I guess they won't release it until they can do it for all states.

Last edited:

Scjon03

Reaction score
I live in freedomless California and was able to get the AFE CAI from Summit Racing. When checking out make sure you select ”non-highway“ or something like that or “won’t be still on the highway” and they'll shipped it. But beware though that it must be instock and ship from Summit racing instead of it shipping from the manufacture or the Oder will be cancel.

However it felt like the truck lost power. Like a sluggish feeling to it. I reinstall the stock intake and the “lost“ power was restored. I did a test like 3 times with the CAI vs stock and the stock felt better. So I returned it. It good luck.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I live in freedomless California and was able to get the AFE CAI from Summit Racing. When checking out make sure you select ”non-highway“ or something like that or “won’t be still on the highway” and they'll shipped it. But beware though that it must be instock and ship from Summit racing instead of it shipping from the manufacture or the Oder will be cancel.

However it felt like the truck lost power. Like a sluggish feeling to it. I reinstall the stock intake and the “lost“ power was restored. I did a test like 3 times with the CAI vs stock and the stock felt better. So I returned it. It good luck.

I think it needs a tune. The modern tuning of today's cars are very sensitive to the air intake, more so than ever before.

Scjon03

Reaction score
I think it needs a tune. The modern tuning of today's cars are very sensitive to the air intake, more so than ever before.

I agree. Good thing accepted the return. Saved that 300+ bucks for something else. Only mod I have done is the exhaust.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I agree. Good thing accepted the return. Saved that 300+ bucks for something else. Only mod I have done is the exhaust.

Me too, I love my exhaust, so happy since it really matches the Hemi and gives it that sense of occasion when I drive it.

But a intake would also be nice, I guess we'll have to step up to the plate and buy that pricey one from Mopar to keep with the warranty. It is supposed to improve performance without requiring a tune. However, it's still not officially available for sale.

Scjon03

Reaction score
Me too, I love my exhaust, so happy since it really matches the Hemi and gives it that sense of occasion when I drive it.

But a intake would also be nice, I guess we'll have to step up to the plate and buy that pricey one from Mopar to keep with the warranty. It is supposed to improve performance without requiring a tune. However, it's still not officially available for sale.

I been looking into that as well. For 1k it better increase performance.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I been looking into that as well. For 1k it better increase performance.

Yup, in this case documented performance increase. Not a single intake for the RAM DT currently for sale actual gives dyno numbers. They only note flow increases, probably because they realize without a tune their intakes don't improve performance.

e55amg2

Reaction score

It's been officially for sale since october 1. I've had one on my '19 limited DT since 10/15.

As for gains, it makes a wonderful noise.....not sure it's actually making much additional power though (hard to feel 5-10hp on an almost 400hp engine).

Attachments

• 20191016_113928.jpg
    20191016_113928.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot_20191229-235009_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20191229-235009_Gallery.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 73

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It's been officially for sale since october 1. I've had one on my '19 limited DT since 10/15.

As for gains, it makes a wonderful noise.....not sure it's actually making much additional power though (hard to feel 5-10hp on an almost 400hp engine).

Awesome! I've been listening to the wrong people. I just saw it on Mopar site, it's $800, thinking about it.

Limo21

Reaction score
Have you checked K&N? A few years ago I had a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2l V8 which I added a K&N CAI. I was able to get a CARB sticker from K&N for it so was approved for use in Cali. Maybe they still make one for the 5.7l Hemi...?

1923bob

Reaction score
Have you checked K&N? A few years ago I had a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 5.2l V8 which I added a K&N CAI. I was able to get a CARB sticker from K&N for it so was approved for use in Cali. Maybe they still make one for the 5.7l Hemi...?
I went with the S&B and love it. Smog should not be a problem for some time and hopefully we will be out of California by then

1923bob

Reaction score
Never had an issue, most dealers I've seen have no issues shipping to CA for non-CARB stuff, especially since you can use them on "non-road" applications and its up to the end user to use it legally. Just bought a set of headers for my Mustang, non-CARB complaint.
I got a S&B they canceled my order had to have it shipped to Colorado then sent back to San Diego.

Users who are viewing this thread