5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BW 48-11 Auto transfer case to 48-12 swap

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If I take the 4-auto version of the t-case out, and swap in the 48-12 version that actually locks the front and rear driveshafts 50/50 while in 4-low, what needs to be done on the programming side of things to make it work? Do I have to get a dealership to flash it?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I'm going to take it that nobody has done this.

Seems to me that a 48-12 and driveshaft from a donor Rebel should work perfectly. The real question is: do I need to program it or can I pop the switch bank into the dash and it'll just magically work?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why just one from a Rebel? My Tradesman doesn't have 4auto, and I'm not sure it was even an option.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I found a thread on another forum where a guy did this to a 4th Gen truck. He said the t-case swapped right in. He did have to move two pins on the wire harness. Then he used the OBDAlfa software to program the truck so that it would all work correctly. Seems fairly straightforward.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think anything on these trucks is plug & play - almost certainly requires alfaOBD settings to be changed at the least.

bbbeeennnjjjeee

Reaction score
Can I ask why you want to do this? 4 auto feels like a gimmick to me. Maybe I’m just dumb and like to choose when and where I engage 4wd.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes I want to do away with the clutches and install the transfer case that uses a chain and therefore never overheats or gives me trouble. Very 1st time I put this truck into 4 low it overheated within 30 seconds. Absolutely ridiculous.

codla

Reaction score
If I take the 4-auto version of the t-case out, and swap in the 48-12 version that actually locks the front and rear driveshafts 50/50 while in 4-low, what needs to be done on the programming side of things to make it work? Do I have to get a dealership to flash it?
Did you swap TC to 48-12, if yes can you give details what need to be done?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you swap TC to 48-12, if yes can you give details what need to be done?

So I fixed mine by trading the truck off for a HD pickup.

But, I had done some minor research on the topic before I did that and I saw some guys swap the 48-12 case right in. It'll bolt right up. As far as making it communicate with the truck, there were a couple of pins in the harness they moved around and then it seemed to work OK. There are a couple of videos on YouTube as a guide. It looked like something a guy could do in a Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread