5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buffing noob questions.

Wreckm

Reaction score
Ok heres how it went.
Torqx First time user.
Clayed, Buffed some panels with orange pad and vs1.
Forgot to add wax but i added chemical guys hydro slick by hand
Next wash the panels were hazy.
Clayed, added Chemical guys Jet seal with a black pad on speed 1. let it sit for 30 minutes looked nice after.
was good for 2 washes and i just noticed the haze is coming back.
Diamond black crystal.

Any points in the right direction

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Can you post pics? Maybe with a flashlight to show what you are talking about.

What brand of pads did you use? Orange might be too aggressive and black might not be aggressive enough.

How are you washing? With black vehicles, it is very important to wash and dry properly. Use the 2 bucket method, wash in straight lines parallel to the ground, and dry with clean microfiber drying towel in same pattern as you wash.

What kind of clay are you using and what are you using as a clay lubricant? Clay has multiple levels of aggression and lubricant is very important. Clay bars remove surface contaminants - they don't remove scratches.

Happy to offer further assistance with some more details.

TH3JUICEMAN

Reaction score
Ok heres how it went.
Torqx First time user.
Clayed, Buffed some panels with orange pad and vs1.
Forgot to add wax but i added chemical guys hydro slick by hand
Next wash the panels were hazy.
Clayed, added Chemical guys Jet seal with a black pad on speed 1. let it sit for 30 minutes looked nice after.
was good for 2 washes and i just noticed the haze is coming back.
Diamond black crystal.

Any points in the right direction
If you are using the SPTA pads from Amazon then you probably used too aggressive of a pad to buff. Trying buffing with black and applying wax with the white pad.

mark-e-mark

Reaction score
I am not afraid to share my idiocy. So I too used the Orange Chemical guys cutting pad and polish with the TORX polisher. I was trying to remove some clear coat scratches and I went too deep. I "burned" through the clear coat and it was cloudy where I was polishing. I must have made 4 or 5 passes. The tell sign was I noticed the pad was getting black. I think i went through the clear coat and was removing the paint. So, I took my 2 week old truck to a body shop and they fixed it. It was my mistake and I paid dearly for it.

IMG_0272.jpg

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I am not afraid to share my idiocy. So I too used the Orange Chemical guys cutting pad and polish with the TORX polisher. I was trying to remove some clear coat scratches and I went too deep. I "burned" through the clear coat and it was cloudy where I was polishing. I must have made 4 or 5 passes. The tell sign was I noticed the pad was getting black. I think i went through the clear coat and was removing the paint. So, I took my 2 week old truck to a body shop and they fixed it. It was my mistake and I paid dearly for it.

View attachment 58733
Hmmm. That’ stinks.

I don’t see how you could do that. It would take a very big effort to burn through clear. Not impossible but it’s very hard to do, unless you stay on the same spot for a very long time (overheating the paint= burning the clear). If you move the pad along slowly, you should have not had any issues. Is that what happened to you?

mark-e-mark

Reaction score
Hmmm. That’ stinks.

I don’t see how you could do that. It would take a very big effort to burn through clear. Not impossible but it’s very hard to do, unless you stay on the same spot for a very long time (overheating the paint= burning the clear). If you move the pad along slowly, you should have not had any issues. Is that what happened to you?

I did not polish the whole bumper, I was just trying to get scratches out, and they were on the bend of the bumper. I think I just pressed to hard, polished too long, and stayed in one spot. I definitely went through the clear coat and had to get it professionally fixed. It did stick, but it looks nice and scratch free now :).

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I did not polish the whole bumper, I was just trying to get scratches out, and they were on the bend of the bumper. I think I just pressed to hard, polished too long, and stayed in one spot. I definitely went through the clear coat and had to get it professionally fixed. It did stick, but it looks nice and scratch free now :).
Ah, that makes sense. Yeah, if you’re on the edge too long then yeah. That’ll happen.
Glad you got it fixed.

Cheers,

Users who are viewing this thread