5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bucket Dirt Lockers

Moestavern33

Reaction score
Do you guys use the dirt locker/trappers in your buckets when washing your trucks? Do they work? Is one better than the other? I saw an Adams bucket combo that comes with a lid that appears to cost approximately $15 more dollars than one without the lid, is the lid actually needed?
Also, do you have a washing mitt or pad as well as drying towels that you’d recommend.
Thank you for an info you can provide.

Matt

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use this 2 pc Grit Guard. It not only separated the mitt from the dirt but the vertical grate is great for rubbing the mitt against to remove any grit. I use this Autofiber [Dragon] Hybrid Car Wash Sponge Mitt Pad. I like the way it handles which gives me more control than other mitts that I've used.

For buckets, I use HD buckets and Walmart has the cheapest bucket trolley if that's your thing.

For towels my detailer recommended the Autofiber ones to me and I like them. I use the Dreadnought (20x30), the Royal Plush Detailing Towel (16 x16) and the Buffmaster Polish and Buffing Towel (16 x16)

Moestavern33

Reaction score
I use this 2 pc Grit Guard. It not only separated the mitt from the dirt but the vertical grate is great for rubbing the mitt against to remove any grit. I use this Autofiber [Dragon] Hybrid Car Wash Sponge Mitt Pad. I like the way it handles which gives me more control than other mitts that I've used.

For buckets, I use HD buckets and Walmart has the cheapest bucket trolley if that's your thing.

For towels my detailer recommended the Autofiber ones to me and I like them. I use the Dreadnought (20x30), the Royal Plush Detailing Towel (16 x16) and the Buffmaster Polish and Buffing Towel (16 x16)
Thx Bill, I hadn’t seen that grit guard before, looks interesting. I think I’ll give it a try.

Moestavern33

Reaction score

Do you use the grit guard in both buckets?

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you use the grit guard in both buckets?
Yes, I use just the one for the bottom of the bucket in the rinse bucket. If my truck is just lightly dirty I usually only use one bucket because I feel that scraping the mitt on that grate is actually more effective than just swishing the mitt around in the rinse bucket. If for instance I go camping and the truck gets really dirty, I do use 2 buckets.

Moestavern33

Reaction score
Yes, I use just the one for the bottom of the bucket in the rinse bucket. If my truck is just lightly dirty I usually only use one bucket because I feel that scraping the mitt on that grate is actually more effective than just swishing the mitt around in the rinse bucket. If for instance I go camping and the truck gets really dirty, I do use 2 buckets.
Ok thanks for the info.

KCViper

Reaction score
Same here, two bucket wash with grit guards in both and the vertical grit guard in the wash bucket. I have many Adams products and you can't go wrong with his products....including the microfibers!! Catch a 20% off sale and pick up some great products!

MrSixStrings12

Reaction score
i just picked on up from autozone. The whole theory makes sense so for how cheap it was, i figured why not. Standard microfiber sponge from any auto store. I've been experimenting with drying methods. My gold standard is "The Absorber" shammy towel. I have one for main drying and an older one thats specifically for wiping door jambs and similar areas. I tried a t-blade squeegee and thats a big NO. It's nice if you dont care about your paint cause it will move alot of water easily but obviously can scratch/swirl. I'm trying out a large drying microfiber towel and I like how big it is but I feel the shammy just absorbs more water and is easier to wring out.

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is what I use to dry then touch up with the towels

_w_g_wg543.9-carousel-image-1.jpg

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do you guys use the dirt locker/trappers in your buckets when washing your trucks? Do they work? Is one better than the other? I saw an Adams bucket combo that comes with a lid that appears to cost approximately $15 more dollars than one without the lid, is the lid actually needed?
Also, do you have a washing mitt or pad as well as drying towels that you’d recommend.
Thank you for an info you can provide.

Matt
As to your question about the top...it depends. In the winter I use my portable power washer on the truck and it is supplied water from the 5 gal pails. I fill the pails with water (2 will give a quick hand wash plus the soap bucket) and put the tops on them so I don't spill walking through the house and out to the truck.

MrSixStrings12

Reaction score

Moestavern33

Reaction score
As to your question about the top...it depends. In the winter I use my portable power washer on the truck and it is supplied water from the 5 gal pails. I fill the pails with water (2 will give a quick hand wash plus the soap bucket) and put the tops on them so I don't spill walking through the house and out to the truck.
Many thanks, I was wondering most about this. I was trying to figure a scenario where I could justify $15 on a bucket lid. Just didn’t seem like something I’d ever need/use. 😂

KCViper

Reaction score
Nice! I have a kobalt leaf blower but I'm afraid of it shooting a rock out or something hahah
I use an Adams air cannon (like metro master blaster) and really like it. Powerful, filtered and heated air make quick work of the drying process. If using a leaf blower, I would recommend a dedicated auto blower to be on the safe side!

bill-e

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use an Adams air cannon (like metro master blaster) and really like it. Powerful, filtered and heated air make quick work of the drying process. If using a leaf blower, I would recommend a dedicated auto blower to be on the safe side!
The Worx blower I use is the smallest one I could find and is used only for cars. I use it to get the majority of the water off but touch up with towels. My TDS right from the hose is only 28ppm so I probably don't even need to dry.

Users who are viewing this thread