5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bring Travel Trailer Back to Level?

holtzd

Reaction score
I have a 2019 LARAMIE 1500 SPORT CREW CAB 4X4. I tow a Rockwood Mini Lite 2511s travel trailer with a UVW of 5492 lb. and hitch weight of 714 lb. These numbers are right off the spec sheet so I’m sure it is more with our gear in it. The issue I have is that to keep the trailer level going down the road the tongue height needs to be 22”. Right now, I have the ball height as high as I can put it without hitting my tailgate when open and that puts the tongue at about 19.5” off the ground when connected and WDH in place. With the WDH the front fender is up about ¼ inch from no load and the rear fender squats just under 2 inches from no load. So, to get the TT level, the hitch needs to come back up at least a couple inches. What is the best way to deal with this? Is there something I can install easily? Air bags?

Mtsabo

Reaction score
You should start with the ball 1.5 to 2" above the trailer tongue to properly set it up. If the tongue is that high there really isnt a good option for the tailgate problem if im understanding you right.

Lift the truck or ditch the WDH and get airbags.

I like the looks of that model trailer

Last edited:

Dookie

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Air Lift 1000 HD kit #60828HD. Add air prior to the load, you will want the minimum pressure in the bags in order to maintain the height you need, 50 PSI max. Play with it and see what works for you. I didn't follow the instruction on install. Google it for a video on easier instal involving folding the bag like a taco and zip ties.

Attachments

• Air Lift 1000HD Instruction MN-1081.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 10

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sounds like you need to spend some time getting the weight distribution hitch dialed in, I have a 32' trailer and had the rear squat like a 1/2" more than the front.
The manual should be readily available online. Download, read, adjust and report back. Yes, it can be slightly time consuming but you will be happier out on the road.

holtzd

Reaction score
Well I can see why the dealer just hooked up the trailer and sent me on my way. I spent the better part of an afternoon messing with my hitch and weight distribution and I think I have it. I’m a little concerned about the bounce I still get in the rear of the truck when on uneven road. The trailer is level now according to a level on the floor of the camper. The chains are pretty tight on the WDH. I don’t have trouble getting the chains on but I guess I don’t know what it really should be. Below are some pictures including measurements of the heights. Also, you can see in the picture that when the tailgate is down it comes close to the ball. I was worried that it would hit before I changed it but the ball is plenty high and it doesn’t hit. 2020-09-14 11_54_38-Hitch.xlsx - Microsoft Excel Online.jpg
IMG_0531.jpg IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0530.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0531.jpg
    IMG_0531.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 16

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Husky with solid bars, and to get the bars on I have to jack the front of the trailer up with the truck coupled. If you need fewer links then you can do that to make it easier to cam over the latch.
It seems like you need more weight distribution, which means fewer links.

holtzd

Reaction score
I'm already jacking up the trailer and truck quite a bit with the tongue jack before connecting the chains. You think I need to transfer even more weight to the front?

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
With a 1/2 ton, I think it does take more force to transfer weight to the front axle of the truck because the suspension is "soft".
I'll have to remember to take a look at my book to refresh myself on my measurements.

HomeTownHockeyFan

Reaction score
I would agree with Jdefoe. There should be more load on the WD system. I suspect your ball may be too high. I have a similar trailer and a 2020 Rebel, and my ball is lower.

I am bringing my trailer to my house tomorrow...will take some measurements and share them then. I have a 2020 26' Rockwood Mini Lite 2509s.

WhattheTruck!

Reaction score
Following! We've finally picked our travel trailer (Freedom Express UL 257BHS) and working on procuring one. In the meantime, I'm very curious to hear where others are landing with their overall measurements.

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I finally remembered to find the manual for my hitch...I set up the hitch exactly how Husky specified. I ended with the rear of the truck settling 1/2 inch more in the rear than the front. I need to readjust mine as we have since added chairs and some other things to the front storage area of the trailer.
Even with that being said, the truck looks way better than many I have seen while traveling. I'm still considering getting some timbrens or sumosprings to ease the bouncing over bumps.

BeforeAfter
Front36 1/436
Rear37 3/437

Users who are viewing this thread