5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Break in towing

carwash2

Reaction score
I just read that you shouldn't tow for the first 500 miles and when you do tow after the break in period you shouldn't go over 50mph for the first 500 miles of towing. Is this what everyone is doing?

S

Smashy71

I
I just read that you shouldn't tow for the first 500 miles and when you do tow after the break in period you shouldn't go over 50mph for the first 500 miles of towing. Is this what everyone is doing?
I had a 1800 mile trip towing to do and had 750ish miles before I started out. I drove an average of 65-70mph it did just fine.

lonestar_penta19

Reaction score
I tow a 2,000lb boat and we have had favorable weather recently and I just couldn't resist. I waited until 600 miles on the odometer. Out of concern for mankind, I towed at 70mph on the highway as 50mph was not in option. (I live in TX) I have only made 2 trips to the lake so far. (about 100 miles towing so far) I am not too worried. I don't tow a heavy load. (well what I consider heavy) I couldn't even tell it was back there with a V6. (3.55 helps vs. 3.21) I personally think 50mph would be unsafe if you can not take feeder or access roads. I don't think that I have done any harm. Our Rams appear to be sturdy vehicles.

DonC

Reaction score
Yes, that is what I did. I tow a 6,000 lb travel trailer and used secondary roads for the 500 miles of brake in towing. Also easy acceleration from a stop. After that initial 1,000 miles I drove the truck as I usually do. That is what Ram recommends.

Users who are viewing this thread