5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake pad rattle

2021QCBH

Reaction score
Will try and condense this down as much as possible. For a while I’ve been chasing a front end noise that sounds like sway bar links. The usual suspects for the DT didn’t fix it (new sway bar links and new CV shafts under PT warranty).

Noise was getting worse and I’m not sure how I missed this so far. The slightest of brake pressure eliminates the noise over bumps.

At about 50k I had some pulsation in the front. I tow often and it still had 70-80% pad but they were pretty cracked up from heat I presume. I had my old school Napa surface the rotors (they have been great on other vehicles). Re installed and they were worse than when removed doh. I personally checked their lathe and it was showing .04 runout on the shaft so useless to try and resurface again. They deeply discounted a set of their premium rotors and adaptive 1 pads. I didn’t have time to mess with anything as I had a 2500 mile towing run coming up the following week so I went with that to get it put back together.

All was well for a while then the noise came. All brake hardware was tight when inspected and I couldn’t see any excessive movement anywhere.

I ordered set of replacement clips that were highly rated. Just installed it last weekend and it all but eliminated the noise except a slight noise on very specific bumps on the drivers side. Now that I’ve got 300 miles or so on it the LH side is getting worse again.

Going to chalk it up to a badly designed or manufactured pad since the hardware initially fixed it.

So my question is, anyone running aftermarket pads with success ? An upgrade in performance would be welcomed as these perform about the same as stock and the stock brakes were never impressive.

I’d be happy with the current performance but no rattle. The OEM pad pricing has minimum doubled in the last 2 years so I’m not super interested in 200+ for a pad set that has so so performance.

Thanks for the help and hopefully my experience helps someone else trying to diagnose front end noises.

Users who are viewing this thread