5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brake Controller Gain

mculik5

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but if the factory brake controller (2021 Ram 1500 set to Light Duty Electric) gain is set at +10 and the manual control slider is moved to 100%, is the voltage to the brakes higher than if the manual control slider is still at 100%, but the gain is only +5? Or does the gain just control the ramp rate vs. truck brake pedal. My thinking is it's just the ramp rate, because it would seem much safer that if you move the manual control slider to 100%, you get 100% braking regardless of how the gain is set...but googling has me confused...

I recently bought an equipment trailer that weights about 2500 pounds empty. Towed it home with the gain set at +3 and everything was fine. Recently towed a 1000 pound zero-turn mower and found that the brakes didn't work, regardless of gain setting, until the controller registered at least 70%. From 70% to 100%, braking was progressive and smooth, but the trailer tires weren't even close to locked at 100%, regardless of the gain setting. This is also why I think the gain is just ramp rate.

I'm guessing some kind of poor connection, so even though the truck was giving 70% - 100% voltage, the trailer brakes were only getting 0% - 30% or something like that. I tried setting the gain way up so that I'd reach 70% trailer braking with normal truck braking, but that caused the trailer brakes to come on jerky (not lock, just come on strong because of how quickly my smooth truck braking caused the trailer braking to blow through 70% with the gain set way up).

Lastly, what is a normal electric trailer brakes voltage range? 0-12 VDC? Or does the brake controller step it up or do other things?

Thanks!

johncolts54

Reaction score
I have a question about adding OEM brake controller, going thru the build with my dealer we both overlooked the brake controller, I think 295 bucks factory install. Anyone know a vendor that would have the OEM part without price gouge? thanks John

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Different brands and types of brakes behave differently, which is why an adjustment is needed. The usual thing is to set gain so that full hand control doesn't quite slide the trailer wheels, that way everything stays in line in a panic. The voltage is battery, but it's pulse width modulated, so an old school analog meter might read some medium (average) equivalent voltage, while a digital meter might bounce around. And AFAIK the gain setting adjusts ramp magnitude and there is no provision for offset.

fishslayer

Reaction score
is it possible that the issue is in your trailer brakes and not in the controller? worn out or loosely adjusted brake shoes. I have multiple trailers of different weights. adjustment is very easily done on each

Users who are viewing this thread