5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bought truck butvhas no tool for lugnuts, advice pls

ciaka

Reaction score
Got 2019 ram 1500. It came with kmc 20" wheels which have star shaped lugnuts.
Trying get in touch with dealer but trying to find out if anyone has advice what these nuts are, and maybe way to remove or biy tool. Need to ha e tool, dealer is not very responsive. Thanks for advice, posting pic of the wheel lugnuts.

Attachments

• 20240513_182736.jpg
    20240513_182736.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 61

Rock Crawler

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Get one of them off by hammering on a sacrificial socket that fits very tight over the lug nut. Or use a tool that is made for this purpose. Once you get one off, you should see a code stamped on it somewhere. You use that code to order a new key.

IMG_0150.png

Ratchet

Reaction score
Spline lug nut tool
Like the one in the link above can be found for cheap. You would need to measure the diameter of your lug nuts and count the splines on it before ordering. WIth that wheel design, you are usually stuck using that syle of lug nut due to the lack of clearance.

My advice? Measure your existing lugs (likely 14mm) and then count splines. Order what you need and be done with dealer as this is aftermarket mess anyways.

Or, reach out to local tire shops and see if they have a spline set you can test to get the fittment so you can order your own. Most are pretty cool about it.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought Costco aluminum wheels for my wife’s Jeep and I had to buy the special lug nuts, they have 6 splines and they don’t look like your lug nuts at all.

By looking at your picture it appears that you could use a 12 point socket.

You can also find a KMC dealer near you, there are dealers in Canada and in the USA, search for a dealer online at www.kmcwheels.com

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Trying get in touch with dealer but trying to find out if anyone has advice what these nuts are, and maybe way to remove or biy tool. Need to ha e tool, dealer is not very responsive. Thanks for advice, posting pic of the wheel lugnuts.

KMC has this to say about lug nuts for their wheels;

https://helpcenter.kmcwheels.com/hc...277-Do-my-OEM-lugnuts-work-with-my-new-wheels

and they recommend Gorilla nuts, so that might be a source for the socket,
or Bimecc is another maker of makes similar nuts and tools.

Your picture looks like they might be 10-spline, but there are a couple sizes and my crystal ball doesn't know what the installer chose. Your dealer may have no clue either, being third party wheels.

Sorry no direct answer, but maybe some leads you can chase down.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is
KMC has this to say about lug nuts for their wheels;

https://helpcenter.kmcwheels.com/hc...277-Do-my-OEM-lugnuts-work-with-my-new-wheels

and they recommend Gorilla nuts, so that might be a source for the socket,
or Bimecc is another maker of makes similar nuts and tools.

Your picture looks like they might be 10-spline, but there are a couple sizes and my crystal ball doesn't know what the installer chose. Your dealer may have no clue either, being third party wheels.

Sorry no direct answer, but maybe some leads you can chase down.
Here is a photo of the Gorilla lug nuts, they do not look like the image on his post, KCM redirected me to that site.

Attachments

• C7C44505-5B1E-427C-A03D-D061D939B820.png
    C7C44505-5B1E-427C-A03D-D061D939B820.png
    333.3 KB · Views: 10

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Have you called Discount tire? I bet they have either the lock or a tool to get them off so you can get new ones.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That looks like what they call spline drive lug nuts. You just need to buy the right size spline socket

ciaka

Reaction score
Thanks for replies so far.
With work do t have time to check often.

I may have to drive to tire shop and ask advice.
I.o spline does not look like this, I thought spline has angled flat slots that the tool fits into.
My nuts look like a star (knew I would get your attention with this).
They are 10 point star shape.
I did call the dealer. They gave me silence treatment for few days, eventually responded, telling me that it must be some sort of universal tool for lugs.
After that I'm getting silence again.

So I'm thinking I'll have to visit tire shop to see if they can help.
Just hoping I can get that tool...I must be crazy thinking that tire removal in emergency (if car gets flat), would be kind of important for anyone. Unlike the dealer, judging by their eagerness to help.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for replies so far.
With work do t have time to check often.

I may have to drive to tire shop and ask advice.
I.o spline does not look like this, I thought spline has angled flat slots that the tool fits into.
My nuts look like a star (knew I would get your attention with this).
They are 10 point star shape.
I did call the dealer. They gave me silence treatment for few days, eventually responded, telling me that it must be some sort of universal tool for lugs.
After that I'm getting silence again.

So I'm thinking I'll have to visit tire shop to see if they can help.
Just hoping I can get that tool...I must be crazy thinking that tire removal in emergency (if car gets flat), would be kind of important for anyone. Unlike the dealer, judging by their eagerness to help.

Users who are viewing this thread