5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Blue puff at startup

My1stHemi

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed blue smoke at startup? The other day after my truck had sat for two days(abnormal) I hit remote start and noticed a puff of blue smoke. It wasn’t like a 2-stroke but it still caught my eye.
I’ve just rolled over 10k and change my oil with synthetic(Rotella GTO) every 5k with Moly additives and I run a catch can.
The engine seems to be louder than when I first bought it, not quite hemi tick, but it’s louder than my ‘95 Benz with 130k mi.
Maybe running 5-30w or 0-40w would help compared to 5-20w?
Oil pressure at warm idle is about 28psi.

ChPeter

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to say, stick with the factory oil specs, and forget the additives. They might do some temporary good in an old, worn out engine.

I don’t think that a new modern engine needs anything else then regularly changed good quality oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

saturn298

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed blue smoke at startup? The other day after my truck had sat for two days(abnormal) I hit remote start and noticed a puff of blue smoke. It wasn’t like a 2-stroke but it still caught my eye.
I’ve just rolled over 10k and change my oil with synthetic(Rotella GTO) every 5k with Moly additives and I run a catch can.
The engine seems to be louder than when I first bought it, not quite hemi tick, but it’s louder than my ‘95 Benz with 130k mi.
Maybe running 5-30w or 0-40w would help compared to 5-20w?
Oil pressure at warm idle is about 28psi.

The blue smoke at start up would be oil in the intake. Compared to my 4th gen these engines are quiet. How often do you empty your catch can?
28psi seems a tad low. mines usually 39-44 at a warm idle. I run 5w20 full synthetic oil and oem filter.
As long as its under warranty I wont be changing oil specs or filter.

saturn298

Reaction score
Hi, I would like to say, stick with the factory oil specs, and forget the additives. They might do some temporary good in an old, worn out engine.

I don’t think that a new modern engine needs anything else then regularly changed good quality oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second forgetting the oil additives. Just good oil.

My1stHemi

Reaction score
I dump the catch can at 5000 mi oil changes. Half cup last time. Beside the factory oil I run Rotella 5-20w synthetic gas truck oil which has higher moly than most oils. From the research I have done regarding the hemi tick, high moly oils such as Rotella and Redline have seemed to have helped some hemi owners. I ran lubeguard moly additive last time and am trying Liqui Moly moly additive this time. Both very reputable companies with well-liked product lines. It may be overkill but I have no reason to believe it is harmful. The truck ran factory oil for 4700mi so it seems like plenty of time to have let things break in.

derp

Reaction score
I dump the catch can at 5000 mi oil changes. Half cup last time. Beside the factory oil I run Rotella 5-20w synthetic gas truck oil which has higher moly than most oils. From the research I have done regarding the hemi tick, high moly oils such as Rotella and Redline have seemed to have helped some hemi owners. I ran lubeguard moly additive last time and am trying Liqui Moly moly additive this time. Both very reputable companies with well-liked product lines. It may be overkill but I have no reason to believe it is harmful. The truck ran factory oil for 4700mi so it seems like plenty of time to have let things break in.
do not F with the oil specs. You want lifter failure? because thats how you get lifter failure.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Normal. Mine does it once in a while. My 6.4 Hemi in my Jeep srt would also do it if it sat for a long time. Seemed to be worse if you only started it for a few seconds previously (like to move the car)

My1stHemi

Reaction score
It’s only happened that one time, and hearing your experience as well I wont fret. After doing some more research my oil pressure appears to be within spec. And my truck doesn‘t consume oil or have dirty tail pipes.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Normal. Mine does it once in a while. My 6.4 Hemi in my Jeep srt would also do it if it sat for a long time. Seemed to be worse if you only started it for a few seconds previously (like to move the car)
This...my truck doesn't do it often, but if I start, move, shutdown my Redeye while its still cold, looks like a blown motor the next time I start it.

Users who are viewing this thread