5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bike Racks for fat tire ebikes

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking for recommendations most probably for a hitch mounted bike rack that can hold the weight of the heavier fat tire ebikes. I say hitch because it looks like bed mounted brackets would be a pain but I am open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions.

I've been using a Kuat NV rack for a few years and its help up extremely well. I've left it on the car year round even through the winters. They aren't cheap but product seems good and very happy with customer service. Had an issue with the ratchet arm after ~3yrs and they actually guided me on how to fix it and also send me a 2 new one for free "just in case". Its rated for 60lbs per bike, not sure what ebikes weigh but id hope no more than that.

I've been using a Kuat NV rack for a few years and its help up extremely well. I've left it on the car year round even through the winters. They aren't cheap but product seems good and very happy with customer service. Had an issue with the ratchet arm after ~3yrs and they actually guided me on how to fix it and also send me a 2 new one for free "just in case". Its rated for 60lbs per bike, not sure what ebikes weigh but id hope no more than that.

Man you weren't kidding when you said it was pricey I see them for upwards of $650. I am sure its a quality unit but maybe a little too expensive for my uses. The issue I am having with the platform type bike racks is that the tires on the e-bikes i want have 4.5 inch tires and most racks max out at 3 inches.

Last edited:
Man you weren't kidding when you said it was pricey I see them for upwards of $650. I am sure its a quality unit but maybe a little too expensive for my uses. The issue I am having with the platform type bike racks is that the tires on the e-bikes i want have 4.5 inch tires and most racks max out at 3 inches.

Your right, I forgot about the full fatties. I've been running a mid fat front tire these last 2 years and I believe its a 3.0. Another Rack company I've heard good things about is 1up racks. I haven't owned one myself so cant comment any more. Looks like you need their rack + a $35 spacer accessory to fit up to 4.9 wide ties. Also looks like they are all on back order.....

Not to highjack this thread, but any suggestions on fat tired ebikes. I recently saw a group of bicyclists non-e fat tires and am considering buying one.

I own a 1Up, and haven't regretted a penny I spent on it. It comes down to the fact that sometimes nice stuff costs money. The 1Ups have spacer kits to fit your fatty bikes. Made in USA, EXTREMELY durable and well made, and the parts are modular IF something were to go bad, but I haven't replaced anything on my rack in 9 years, and I use it a LOT. Advantage over the NV Kuat (the only other hitch mount option that rivals the 1Up, IMO) was how you can tighten the shank in your receiver so there's NO noise from the rack at all. Everything else, they're pretty even, from security to clearance to ease of mounting to price. I did a LOT of shopping around, and this would be the last bike rack you'd ever buy, and you won't regret it. Buy once, cry once, but really only once.

Not to highjack this thread, but any suggestions on fat tired ebikes. I recently saw a group of bicyclists non-e fat tires and am considering buying one.
So there are many companies with decent designs. The high end fat tire ebikes are 1600 & up.

Here is a couple links to what I like and I have researched them a lot. Radpower is the most popular but they cant seem to keep bikes in stock. I like the design of the Vtuvia bike the best since it can hold a man size man of up to 350lbs! I aint anywhere near that heavy but it tells me the design is built to take the abuse i will likely give it! Both bikes use the same electric power hub and samsung bateries.

I own a 1Up, and haven't regretted a penny I spent on it. It comes down to the fact that sometimes nice stuff costs money. The 1Ups have spacer kits to fit your fatty bikes. Made in USA, EXTREMELY durable and well made, and the parts are modular IF something were to go bad, but I haven't replaced anything on my rack in 9 years, and I use it a LOT. Advantage over the NV Kuat (the only other hitch mount option that rivals the 1Up, IMO) was how you can tighten the shank in your receiver so there's NO noise from the rack at all. Everything else, they're pretty even, from security to clearance to ease of mounting to price. I did a LOT of shopping around, and this would be the last bike rack you'd ever buy, and you won't regret it. Buy once, cry once, but really only once.
I looked at the specs and it says tires up to 3.1 inches. That's a bit small for the tires I'll have which will be 4.5 inches. It looks super nice though.

So after whining about the prices of the Kuat I did find one in bed option that seems to be a great design but also pricey!

I have a Rad Rover and it weighs over 70 lb after accessories. Even if I take off battery it is around 65 lb. most racks only support 60 lb.

I do not use a rack, but a lot of people on their forum like the Hollywood rack.

Have you considered one of those pads that go over the tailgate though?

So after whining about the prices of the Kuat I did find one in bed option that seems to be a great design but also pricey!

Sheesh! You ain't lyin'! That's a lot of money to use up your whole truck bed :)

1up makes a heavy duty version designed in part for the extra weight of ebikes, and does offer upsized trays for fat bikes. But you'd want to look at the specifics (total capacity, max tire size etc.) for yourself.

I have the normal hitch rack set up for three bikes. Took it off my SUV and threw it on my RAM yesterday for the first time, and worked just fine. I do need to lower the rack in order to lower the tailgate however. My general experience with 1Up is that it is an incredible bike rack, but when not being used to carry bikes its burly enough to be a bit of a pain (if everything is a compromise, this is toward the great bike rack end of the spectrum as opposed to the unobtrusive when not in use end). It's also not cheap.

I have the 1Up rack as well. It is pricey but it is super nice and real easy to use. Looks great with or without bikes. For fat tire bikes, I think you have to get an add on kit.IMG_20200605_173735.jpgIMG_20200606_132734.jpg

This is the rack i purchased:

Well we bought the Ride88 dual bike rack kit and yes it’s expensive. I’ll be happier when I don’t remember buying it but we can’t be happier with the quality and functionality. This thing is awesome for our 4” wide tire e-bikes. Easy to get in and out. We have the BUG so the truck has the utility rails which I worried about getting in the way of the telescopic mounting bar. Ultimately it did when I test fitted it but simply removing the rail caps allowed it to work perfectly. No regrets.

B40624E4-1BD1-4485-ACA3-34624B7D1B92.jpeg

2ED26082-9B0E-4446-8C10-9C9C2C7DF5BE.jpeg

77276215-DFB1-4B41-8AF9-9BD551088255.jpeg

C0B902AA-6494-41A4-945E-2622CB9E5F32.jpeg

40A87499-75EC-463C-881C-51A232552330.jpeg

Hi I have a quick question, do you know if one of these would work well for fat tire bikes? thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back