5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BG MOA Conditioner

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When scheduling a dealer oil change (10K miles) they pushed a BG MOA Conditioner. I declined, assuming its not really necessary and just a money grab on their part (and that I could probably add it myself if I needed to.)

So now, I'm curious what everyone's take on this is. It seems like if you're using oil that's to spec, anything like this shouldn't be necessary.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
STP used to be the big thing, and in an older engine was a great additive. With modern metelergy, I personally wouldn't waste my money. I have never seen any manufacturers recommend any aftermarket additives for fuel or oil, but I have seen some recommend against it. Modern oils were designed for today's engines, and IMHO do their job very well. I have run over 200000 miles on several engines with no failures/problems using straight oil with no additives, but that's just me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would not suggest any additive be dumped into the crankcase, as it changes the viscosity of the oil. BG has a great marketing plan with offering "warranty" for it's products protecting against damage. But if you just follow regular maintenance schedule, no additive will increase the life of your engine. I'm sure the dealerships that peddle BG products get some sort of kickback for selling the products, or the markup is high enough to make them money

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks all. My local dealership changed hands last year and this was my first service with the new owners (a larger company that owns several dealerships.) It was only "pushed" on the online service scheduling site. Fortunately, the guys in the service department never said anything or tried to push it.

I think it was $20 for the MOA service. If I'm looking at the right product on Amazon, it would cost me $15 to buy--though I'm sure they can get it cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread