5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Better tires for my '21 1500?

Bensinc

Reaction score
I have a 21 1500 with the 20" wheels and stock Dueler passenger tires. It rides nice and is very quiet, but they just don't have much grip. I sometimes tow off road, and have a cabin with a loose gravel driveway that always gives me trouble. I think I'd rather have truck tires for towing anyway.

Any recommendations on a truck tire rather than a passenger tire, with more grip but not too loud on the pavement? Thanks!

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
There are a lot of options out there and everyone has an opinion. I chose to get the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 tires because I tow my TT regularly and do mild off roading when camping, but wanted a less aggressive tread than most A/T tires offer. I have been very happy with them so far. I have had them for ~10k miles. I have heard a lot of good things about Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires as well.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 21 1500 with the 20" wheels and stock Dueler passenger tires. It rides nice and is very quiet, but they just don't have much grip. I sometimes tow off road, and have a cabin with a loose gravel driveway that always gives me trouble. I think I'd rather have truck tires for towing anyway.

Any recommendations on a truck tire rather than a passenger tire, with more grip but not too loud on the pavement? Thanks!
You didn't list your truck in the sig line, but any more truck like tire (weight, stiffness, etc.) is conversely going to use more fuel, just so you are aware. For instance, I went from a "C" range OEM Falken to an "E" range Michelin Defender and the mpg dropped almost 2 full mpg.

Oldphart

Reaction score
I just went with the Michelin Defender LTX M/S in the stock size. Those stock tires are really bad in the wet. Now that I've ditched them I have guaranteed a 6 month droughto_O

Phippy

Reaction score
If you can wait I'll post some pics of my 22' Laramie with some new BFGoodrich Trail Terrain. Getting installed on Monday like yourself I deal with some gravel roads when towing boat and to be honest surprised I haven't punctured my 22" Pirelli's that came with Night Edition PK.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score

These are the 2 my local mechanic recommended! I decide to ride out the factory crap tires as long as I can or trade for a new truck🤣

Attachments

• 3DE77D4B-08C0-4755-9F6E-67FB482B617F.jpeg
    3DE77D4B-08C0-4755-9F6E-67FB482B617F.jpeg
    35.3 KB · Views: 124
  • E4EA0010-7417-4CE7-81BA-04AF9C81FF2F.jpeg
    E4EA0010-7417-4CE7-81BA-04AF9C81FF2F.jpeg
    35.6 KB · Views: 124

Craigswardmtb

Reaction score
Falcon wildpeaks in the atw, not atwa trim are awesome. Particularly good in the snow and wet compared to similar tires. I had xl rated and went up to d rated as the tread depth increased 5/32's. They are heavier but not as bad as e rated tires from a weight or ride stiffness perspective. I'm not sure on mileage implications yet. I also downsized to 20" rims and the ride actually feels smoother. These are surprisingly quiet and well mannered tires on the highway too.

I almost went for the new Mickey Thompson trail boss AT but couldn't find enough info on their winter performance.

Attachments

• 20221019_125837.jpg
    20221019_125837.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 132

mcosub

Reaction score
If you can wait I'll post some pics of my 22' Laramie with some new BFGoodrich Trail Terrain. Getting installed on Monday like yourself I deal with some gravel roads when towing boat and to be honest surprised I haven't punctured my 22" Pirelli's that came with Night Edition PK.
I was looking at wildpeaks or trail terrain. Let me know how you like them.

Bensinc

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions! I tow on gravel too and it can get a bit tricky.

Phippy

Reaction score
I was looking at wildpeaks or trail terrain. Let me know how you like them.
Only 10mi ride home. They roll very nice no noticeable difference in road noise over the Pirelli with better wet grip which is to be expected though the only negative I've read with these is the wet braking performance. Only upgraded was fear of puncture on some gravel roads while towing boat but wanted to keep the weight down, low noise and good rolling resistance these seem to accomplish that. Long term who knows as I only average 5K a year so these should out live life of ownership of this truck for me. Notice no rim protector if you need it.

Attachments

• IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0549.jpg
    IMG_0549.jpg
    218.5 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 146

PDiddy

Reaction score
I tow a travel trailer and spend time in Tahoe in the winters. I wanted to get tires that had an improved winter and off road performance, but didn't want to add a lot of weight to my wheels. So, I stayed away from LT rated tires. I have had LT tires many times in the past and the hit on MPG is real. So I decided to try the General Gabber ATX 275/70/r18. They are slightly taller than what I had stock (same size as stock Rebel Tires) but I can not tell that I changed tires at all. They are not louder, and are just as smooth as stock tires were. MPG seems to be the same, maybe a .1-.2 hit. Check out ther reviews on them. They are great.

I see they have a 275/55/r20 that is not LT rated. It is 11lbs less per tire, compared to the LT version in the same size.
IMG_3304.JPEG

gofishn

Reaction score

Truck tires usually mean aggressive tread or E range sidewalls. E range tires will help with increased sidewall strength but,, by definition, are firmer and will cause ride to suffer.
Not to mention and increase in rolling restance which will also reduce fuel economy.

An aggressive tread or larger sized tires will also increase rolling resistance, decrease fuel economy and, depending on rear end gears, make motor work hearder, at highway speeds. WHich will reduce economy. Oh, yeah, they too will also affect ride quality.

Sensible option would be to get a better tire, period.
hard to beat michelin LTX M/S.

Ran them on my 3/4 tons, and my 1/2 tons, all of which I bought specifically to tow and reason i got 3.92 gears.
Always get 70K out of them and I get new tires at 5/32.

Could have gone longer but 5/32 is my preference.
That tread depth still handles most conditions, well, and I just never wanted to risk the kids or Wife cause i'm cheap.
Which I am, truly, but there's Cheap, then there's flat out Stupid.

Though, come to think of it, my Wife calls me that too, sometimes, so maybe...

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tow a travel trailer and spend time in Tahoe in the winters. I wanted to get tires that had an improved winter and off road performance, but didn't want to add a lot of weight to my wheels. So, I stayed away from LT rated tires. I have had LT tires many times in the past and the hit on MPG is real. So I decided to try the General Gabber ATX 275/70/r18. They are slightly taller than what I had stock (same size as stock Rebel Tires) but I can not tell that I changed tires at all. They are not louder, and are just as smooth as stock tires were. MPG seems to be the same, maybe a .1-.2 hit. Check out ther reviews on them. They are great.

I see they have a 275/55/r20 that is not LT rated. It is 11lbs less per tire, compared to the LT version in the same size.
View attachment 142205
I so wanted to like these tires, but I've had 10 (!!! fool me once, fool me twice, I don't know what you call it at 10! 🤣 ) mostly car and some truck General Tires break cords thru the years, so I just couldn't. I am very interested to hear any long term review, especially on the non LT 275/70/18, same as my truck.

I did end up with Michelin LTX M+S, only available as an "E" range tire, and it cost me 2 mpg. I was also looking at the Firestone XT, but have had short mileage out of that brand lately. Coopers may be a good tire also, but a little spendy. The Pirelli is rated high as well. Snow, tow, sand off road, and high mileage are my main uses.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I have a question. Are the range rated tires, such as the Michelin lax mstire listed as “e” range, only apply to LT (truck) tires? Thanks

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
I went with venom power terra hunter XT tires. They are 4 ply (rarely tow) and ride and handle great.

dadtired

Reaction score
I have a question. Are the range rated tires, such as the Michelin lax mstire listed as “e” range, only apply to LT (truck) tires? Thanks
Passenger car tires don’t have E ranges, many will have an XL rating to handle the heavier crossover SUVs and smaller trucks. LTs normally have a heavier rating like the XL, but way below D and E rated tires. The sidewalls are thinner to allow for a better ride. The jump from LT to load rating D and E tires is mostly seen on 2500 and up series trucks meant for towing heavier trailers. They ride like absolute bricks, but can take the abuse of pulling travel trailers or tons of weight in the bed.

Users who are viewing this thread