5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Best hitch to tow 7000 pound boat?

k.daddy

Reaction score
Hey all,

I have a 2020 1500 with air suspension. Im going to be towing a 7000 lb boat and wondering what set up everyone is using for a hitch? Do I need anti sway or a weight distribution hitch or a normal ball mount? The boat dealer is telling me a 40 dollar home depot hitch will do the trick. I feel like I need to step it up a bit for safety. I'm new to towing so appreciate any insight. thanks

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tons of quality hitches on the market but I personally use the andersen adjustable linked below. I tow my boat (6k lb) with it no problems. You shouldn't need a weight distribution hitch as boat weight is mostly sitting on the trailer axles and aft unlike a travel trailer which tends to have more tongue weight.

jrr907

Reaction score
Assured Automotive has some of the best towing products check there website

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210306-210614_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210306-210614_Outlook.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 55

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Important to make sure every component of your receiver, hitch, ball, chains etc. is rated for at least your max tow weight. Also important that the loaded trailer pulls level - i.e. proper hitch height via drop, lift or other method. Assume a boat that heavy has trailer brakes so ensure gain is set properly and everything is working on trailer brake system. Agree with others you shouldn't need a wdh for a boat. I prefer a lunette/pintle for trailers over 5,000lbs but for a boat trailer that heavy I assume it is a 2.5" ball.

cj7

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Best part about the EazLift Recurve R6, aside from the fact that it just works (600-1400# and very good anti-sway), is the support. They have been great.

Users who are viewing this thread