5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedrug XLT + spray in liner + Ultra Flex on a 2020 RAM

blue tom

Reaction score
So, I've got a 2020 longhorn 5' 7" bed, no ramboxes nor MFT. Last week, I picked up a Bedrug XLT (covering the floor and the tailgate), just for a little comfort on the knees and whatnot. It comes with this long piece of plastic trim (a "j-clip" as I think they call it). I can see how it's useful, to give the velcro strips a flat surface to adhere to vs. the thin and uneven surface at the top of the tailgate. But man, it just seems like it was not designed to slip onto the access cover with the spray-in liner on there. Should I just press the velcro strips onto the liner without the j-clip and send it? It seems like the only real risk is if someday I want to pull the rug out of there, and the velco patches themselves peel off of the tailgate when I pull it up, because they didn't have quite enough flat surface area to grab onto. So...a problem for future me to worry about.

I also put an Undercover Ultra Flex tonneau on it, which I'm still fiddling with to get it to close properly with the tailgate up. I guess my concern also is that once I have this mat installed, plus the j-clip, plus the velcro, plus the spray liner...surely that's going to make the tonneau fitting job even tougher. I already feel like I've got it pushed up as far forward as it'll go, and it's still about a 1/4" too long. I don't know.

So, anyone have tips for getting the bedrug properly fitted onto the spray-lined tailgate while also getting the tonneau on there so the tailgate and the tonneau close and latch with reasonable ease? Am I asking too much to combine all of these luxuries?

Gitter

Reaction score
I went through the same problem with my tonneau and Bedrug XLT on my Limited. Ultimately you don't have to install that plastic strip.

Initially, I installed it. I had to use a rubber mallet to get it over the spray-on bed lined part, but once I had it all installed, the gate would close with the tonneau closed too.

Luckily, I had enough of the adhesive promoter stuff from Bedrug. I used it to reapply the velcro directly to the top of the tailgate. It's not a perfectly flat surface, but it still worked fine on the spray-on bed liner. I then used my heat gun on it to make sure it aheared properly (it was 40-something degrees).

So far, I have never had the rug or velcro come loose on me after 2 months.

Users who are viewing this thread