5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bedrug Impact v Techliner v Smartliner?

Kone

Reaction score
Trying to decide between these three bed mats. Ideally I want something that will hold items in place but not so much I can't slide a cooler out, easier on knees, easy to clean out stuff like mulch and fine dirt, prefer tailgate option. Any observations from anyone that has any of these products? I'm just a regular homeowner so probably won't kill these things.

Will say I'm leaning towards the Bedrug because it covers gap between bed and tailgate. I'm worried about the tailgate Velcro attachment though. Weathertech product seems less sturdy? And for the Smartliner I don't like how the lip goes up along the open (tailgate) side; will small debris find its way back under it?

Bedrug Impact
Weathertech Techliner
Smartliner

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Here are some posts.

I have the Smarliner and like it.
Weathertech is light weight and I feel it does not give adequate tailgat impact protection and is also held down partially with double stick type tape.
No experience with Bedrug but seems to get good reviews on the forum.

Kone

Reaction score
Here are some posts.

I have the Smarliner and like it.
Weathertech is light weight and I feel it does not give adequate tailgat impact protection and is also held down partially with double stick type tape.
No experience with Bedrug but seems to get good reviews on the forum.
Thanks. I have similar thoughts on the WT but their stuff has been pretty good for me. I'm not liking the raised lip along the open tailgate edge on the Smartliner - do you find it prevents debris from being swep/washed/blown out? Does dirt find its way back under the mat there? Could you grab handle of cooler and slide it out easily enough yet have it stay in place reasonably while driving?

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks. I have similar thoughts on the WT but their stuff has been pretty good for me. I'm not liking the raised lip along the open tailgate edge on the Smartliner - do you find it prevents debris from being swep/washed/blown out? Does dirt find its way back under the mat there? Could you grab handle of cooler and slide it out easily enough yet have it stay in place reasonably while driving?
The Smarliner stays in place very well. I believe the Smartliner has more "grip" than a traditional bedliner. I have a Westin (don't recommend the brand or Carid, sent me old model, no response via email) on top so it is not an issue.
I also keep a "run for political office" corrugated plastic 2'X4' sheet in the bed. I use that for sliding material in and out of the bed and that holds down the lip. But the lip could be an issue depending on what you put in there, never an issue for me.

I have a slew of signs from election time. I cut them for templates, use them for painting, crawling under the car, oil changes. They work great for loading boxes, containers and such to the front of the bed, load the boxes on the corrugated plastic, reach in and pull the plastic towards you. Saves you the trouble of crawling in if you have a tonneau cover.

I believe in the link I have in the other post is my tailgate mat. I'm extremely happy with it, takes impact, cleans up easy, no double stick tape or drilling holes. It was a difficult find and did not find it available anywhere else. I have a similar in my 20 year old Dodge Ram 1500 and still is good as new. I purchased the Weathertech first but I didn't have faith in the durability and from what I can remember has a lip with double sided tape.

I like the 2 mats for my bed. I have no data to back up my opinion but I do not believe the beds of the 2019 and 2001 have the same ability to take impacts.

I ended up getting the Smarliner because Carid sent me an old model Westin that did not fit well and it also looked like :poop:, wasn't worth the effort to send back.

The Smartliner and tailgate mat probably cost me about $200+. In my 2001 I never had the bed sprayed but always kept a tonneau cover on it. The bed is in great shape for all the work I do. I use an old pool cover (20X40) folded over several times when loading gravel, dirt, block and such.

You will get plenty of advice if you go through all the posts. I believe pretty much everyone is happy with their decision. Some of it comes down to $$$ and your use.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered the regular bedrug mat but have had a full liner previously. I abused the liner for 6 years including Gravel and mulch and it never came loose or showed any wear. Looked new when I sold it because I sold my 2014 Ram and it would fit my 2019. I think you would be very happy with the impact liner or the standard bedrug mat with tailgate.

Rsorrell2

Reaction score
I went with line-x and a rough country bed rug.

the line-x covers great and is super durable. But it is slippery. That is why I also have the bed rug. When I go camping and have a lot of stuff I take the bed rug out (it does roll up) so I can easily slide things in and out.

otherwise I have the bed rug in and it keeps things from sliding around (I keep a large plastic tub - from Lowe’s, in there for small things and it is great for groceries.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
DualLiner is also worth taking a look at it. I’ve got it in my Laramie.

It’s a five piece kit: four plastic panel (like a drop in liner, but separate pieces) for left side, right side, bulkhead, and tailgate; plus a rubber mat for the floor.

Reverse

Reaction score
I have a full bedrug (covering all sides of the bed) in our 2014, and a bedrug (bedmat) that just covers the floor in my 2020. The one in the 2014 works fine, has been abused and hasn't moved an inch since installing 7 years ago. However, I would not get tailgate covering next time. Crap get stuck in the fold between tailgate and bed and eventually the velcro on the tailgate will start to peel off (only there, not in rest of bed).

Our 2020 came with the spray-in liner, so I only got the mat so stuff wouldn't slide and my knees get a break. Works great also.

BTW, some stuff may still slide. For that, I have right-angled plastic retainers that attach to bedrug with velcro. Works great, keeps even the heaviest items (ammo cases in my truck) in place just fine. Recommended: https://www.amazon.com/Multipurpose...-Available/dp/B06VVPWSXM/ref=sr_1_37?dchild=1

FormerTitanFan

Reaction score
Trying to decide between these three bed mats. Ideally I want something that will hold items in place but not so much I can't slide a cooler out, easier on knees, easy to clean out stuff like mulch and fine dirt, prefer tailgate option. Any observations from anyone that has any of these products? I'm just a regular homeowner so probably won't kill these things.

Will say I'm leaning towards the Bedrug because it covers gap between bed and tailgate. I'm worried about the tailgate Velcro attachment though. Weathertech product seems less sturdy? And for the Smartliner I don't like how the lip goes up along the open (tailgate) side; will small debris find its way back under it?

Bedrug Impact
Weathertech Techliner
Smartliner
I had a full Bed Rug in my Titan for 15 years and except for a burn hole it looked new when I sold the truck. I used my truck as a truck too. Best thing about it in my opinion is to protect my knees and keep stuff from sliding. That said - if you have rubber feet on your heavy as hell Yeti cooler - it is very tough to slide without lifting

Kone

Reaction score

It’s a five piece kit: four plastic panel (like a drop in liner, but separate pieces) for left side, right side, bulkhead, and tailgate; plus a rubber mat for the floor.
Would like this but it's a bit more $$$ than I want to spend I think.

Crew4X2

Reaction score

I also bought the DualLiner system. Took all of about 30 minutes to install. Comes with a nice rubber mat so stuff doesn't slide around all over the place.

Attachments

• Liner.jpg
    Liner.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 40

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Would like this but it's a bit more $$$ than I want to spend I think.
In my case, it was an easy buy because I had a bare bed; getting it sprayed would have been around the same amount.

bud007

Reaction score
I have this DEE ZEE DZ87015 Bedmat works great and fits perfectly , I noticed the price went up ( what a surprise ) IMG-5024.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread