5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Rattle

ForkliftFranky12

Reaction score
Alright so i know certain parts on our trucks are aluminum and I dont know which parts mostly because I have no need to know. However ive been hearing this metal rattle on the outside of my truck and I finally found it. The front of the bed feels extremly thin and rattles. Think of a very thin piece of metal rested against a wall and you tap on it with your fingers and it makes a tingy sound and sounds cheap and wierd. thats what im experiencing on my truck. I will try to get a video if possible of what im talking about.
To clarify im talking the very front of the bed right underneath your rear window. That entire panel

bdm219

Reaction score
I have a similar noise, also the front bed wall. When I got my drop in liner installed, it seemed to decrease the noise. I did hear it today though. Yours is much, much worse than mine is though.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Something is not fastened or welded. I would get under the truck and look up to see if there is anything visible between the bed and the cab.

Rob

Reaction score
Ya something is not right at all with the bed. Mine is rock solid. Also the bed liner is a must. Spray is great but it’s your truck. Protect your investment either way

Rob

Reaction score
Spray is nice. Protects the bed and stuff don’t slide around in there. Kinda personal preference but I’ve had almost all and like spray in the most

d2k3

Reaction score
I have the same issue. Have you had it looked at yet or find out what the fix is?

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had this issue on a 4th gen Ram 1500. It appeared to be either insufficient spot welding at the outer front bulkhead, or failed mastic. I stuffed some 2 inch thick foam between the inner and outer walls and that solved the problem.

I don't have this problem on my '19.

Best regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 006431 miles.

d2k3

Reaction score
I am taking it to the body shop on Wednesday to have it looked at. I will reply back to the group once I know more.

d2k3

Reaction score
So I took it in today and they said there was nothing they could do and that nothing was wrong. Just “cheap”metal. I’m not satisfied with this response so I’m going to call back tomorrow.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Sounds like something didn't get welded, did you take it to the dealer or an independent body shop?

Last edited:

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I took it in today and they said there was nothing they could do and that nothing was wrong. Just “cheap”metal. I’m not satisfied with this response so I’m going to call back tomorrow.

Then why don't they all do it?

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 006986 miles.

d2k3

Reaction score
Then why don't they all do it?

Regards,
Dusty

2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Now at: 006986 miles.
Agreed

geotex1

Reaction score
You need to take it to the most reputable, independent body shop in your area. After watching you video, that's not right. It's not the material, it's an issue with the front wall assembly. Have the body shop inspect, document, and quote repair. Then take that to FCA.

Ewiz

Reaction score
I totally agree with you. That is very surprising that it is that cheap. I’m sure there are lots of ways to fix it but the dealer should be the one to figure that out

Jordan2929

Reaction score
It may not even be an area they weld, it might be adhesives. If so it would make for an easier fix.

d2k3

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Another update. I just took mine in again and they found that there were some plugs loose which were rattling. They reinstalled them and it is much better. When they told me this on the phone I was doubtful that could be it but seems to be good now. If it comes back i will let everyone know. If not, hopefully this gives you something to go off of. I am not sure where they are located or how to get to them.

Users who are viewing this thread