5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Rack / RTT Considerations

Mafue

Reaction score
Hi all! I would like to upgrade my RAM Rebel with a Bed rack to install a RTT for overlanding. Similar like on the picture, but only half-height so that the RTT does not exceed the height of the cabin. I am living in Dubai and have a shop that customizes this for appr. USD 1.200 (including the lights). Any tips to think about / consider from the experts?
Many thanks! Martin 802D9DAB-2CE2-46C8-8389-190140BF8675.jpeg

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
assuming what you're asking is your shop will build the rack for you.
  1. Make sure the mountings are solid and sturdy. Last thing you want is to have the rack comes off while you're on the trail/ Refrain from using the stake holes on the bed for mounting. Mount them to the actual bed with clamp style mounts.
  2. Make sure you use quality Grade 8 hardware, and torque them down. I did mine at about 30ft/ lb. All 108 of them.
  3. Make sure you have at least 3 posts to clamp on the bed on each side (your pic only shows 2 post)
  4. Understand that if you use a wedge style RTT, your RTT will stick out as much as little past the bumper. If you're using a flip out type (like iKamper) then you don't have that problem
  5. Make sure you leave gap between the RTT (or bed rack) and the cab to allow for flex (yes, bed and cab flex and they don't flext together)
  6. Make sure you mark each bolt and nut after torquing them.
  7. Avoid using cheap lights. They don't last especially when exposed to heat
  8. I highly recommend using a lightweight tent instead of a heavy one. Two examples I can think of: GoFastCamper Platform RTT, and Inspired Overland lightweight RTT. iKamper and others are way heavy.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like a nice setup, if you have RAM boxes then the 2 post is what you are stuck with.
I made my own RTT rack out of 6061-T6, might weigh 40 pounds or so.

Mafue

Reaction score
assuming what you're asking is your shop will build the rack for you.
  1. Make sure the mountings are solid and sturdy. Last thing you want is to have the rack comes off while you're on the trail/ Refrain from using the stake holes on the bed for mounting. Mount them to the actual bed with clamp style mounts.
  2. Make sure you use quality Grade 8 hardware, and torque them down. I did mine at about 30ft/ lb. All 108 of them.
  3. Make sure you have at least 3 posts to clamp on the bed on each side (your pic only shows 2 post)
  4. Understand that if you use a wedge style RTT, your RTT will stick out as much as little past the bumper. If you're using a flip out type (like iKamper) then you don't have that problem
  5. Make sure you leave gap between the RTT (or bed rack) and the cab to allow for flex (yes, bed and cab flex and they don't flext together)
  6. Make sure you mark each bolt and nut after torquing them.
  7. Avoid using cheap lights. They don't last especially when exposed to heat
  8. I highly recommend using a lightweight tent instead of a heavy one. Two examples I can think of: GoFastCamper Platform RTT, and Inspired Overland lightweight RTT. iKamper and others are way heavy.
Thanks for your comments! Makes absolut sense! Only issue is the posts…As I want to use the Ramboxes, it will have to work with only 2 posts. I have previously used a RRT (Howling Moon Stargazer 1.8, weight around 70kg) with 2 Thule Crossbars on the OEM rails of the VW Atlas and it worked well, although very light offroading. So i am hopeful that a sturdy rack with 2 posts will be fine!

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments! Makes absolut sense! Only issue is the posts…As I want to use the Ramboxes, it will have to work with only 2 posts. I have previously used a RRT (Howling Moon Stargazer 1.8, weight around 70kg) with 2 Thule Crossbars on the OEM rails of the VW Atlas and it worked well, although very light offroading. So i am hopeful that a sturdy rack with 2 posts will be fine!
for light offroading 2 posts will be fine. also if you're a lightweight 2 posts should also be fine with you in it.
not a whole lot of options from an engineering standpoint for this purpose with ramboxes

Users who are viewing this thread