5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Lighting - A new take...

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So I did not have factory bed lighting, and would have wanted more light anyway so I went with this set up. I found a decent LED strip light kit, a time delay relay programmed to a 3-minute on time, and tapped into the 7Pin trailer harness. I know me and I know that if I used a traditional on/off switch I'd accidentally leave the lights on and kill the battery, which is not possible with this setup. Additionally, it's nice to not have to have the keys on my person to turn the lights on from inside the cab. Nice to load/unload a fully lit bed. I had to adapt the momentary switch to use with the Bedrug, but it really works.

System works well for me, so I thought I'd share....sorry for the bad photos.

Attachments

• dark in the daytime.jpg
    dark in the daytime.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 192
  • lit in daytime left.jpg
    lit in daytime left.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 191
  • lit in daytime right.jpg
    lit in daytime right.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 192
  • Momentary switch.jpg
    Momentary switch.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 189

Bambohunter

Reaction score
Mind sharing whaat kit you used and how you wired it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The lighting kit is here. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXR799K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1.

I used a time delay relay from a company that I work with. It needs to be programmed to a specific time delay and then the wiring is easy...nothing special. I tapped into the 12V+ on the back side of the 7-pin trailer connector and just attached a ground wire near the trailer hitch. As soon as I hit the momentary switch the timer counts down for 3 minutes and shuts off unless the button is hit again.

If you are interested, I think the relays are about $50...they are full automotive grade. I stuck mine to the underside of the bedrail with tape.

If you need further wiring details let me know, though I think it would be specific to this particular relay.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

TravisH

Reaction score
Just use a PAC TR-7 and you can program your own time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Sure, I used this kit ---> https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXR799K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

For the wiring, it was specific to the time delay relay I used. Very simple to wire up with a cheap momentary switch and the 12V source (tapped into the trailer harness...easy). I can post a diagram if you'd like.

If there is any interest in the relay I can get them...(my company doesn't sell retail)
Please post a diagram as to which wire you taped into.
I would be interested in a relay and can it be programmed longer say 4-5 minutes?
Thanks

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks great, good job 👍

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Please post a diagram as to which wire you taped into.
I would be interested in a relay and can it be programmed longer say 4-5 minutes?
Thanks
As far as the wire I tapped into...it is the red wire at the back of the 7-pin circular trailer connector. It is a constant 12V feed. Yes, these relays can be programmed to whatever time you want, and I also believe there is an adjustable one...stand by, I'll know in a few days.

TravisH

Reaction score
Where can this be purchased? Can you send a link?

Manual:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
As far as the wire I tapped into...it is the red wire at the back of the 7-pin circular trailer connector. It is a constant 12V feed. Yes, these relays can be programmed to whatever time you want, and I also believe there is an adjustable one...stand by, I'll know in a few days.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread