5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beach Driving

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Getting ready for my first trip out on the sand with my Rebel! Really excited to head to the Outer Banks, NC. I've driven in all types of sand, but it has always been in Jeeps. Although a lot of the sand is hard pack, I tend to venture back in the dunes and find some loose stuff from time to time. I go equipped with traction boards, recovery gear, and a shovel. Looking for a little advice before I hit the beach.

What PSI do you run on the sand? Advice from anyone running stock Rebel Duratracs would be great.

Do you drive in 4 High or 4 Low?

Any tricks to keep sand out of window tracks?

Any other advice or thoughts appreciated!!

Bo3liwe

Reaction score
Hi
Here in the Kuwaiti desert, I tested the strength of the vehicle
I will tell you about the best way to have fun in the vehicle in the sand

front 25 psi
Back 23 psi
4 high
. And Keep your speed steady in the sand

And if you feel that you are stuck in the sand. Turn the steering wheel a little to the left and return it to the front like a snake crawling motion During the movement of the vehicle

I hope you enjoy your day

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
I spent last week on the OBX sand with my Longhorn. It did fine with the 22" Touring tires inflated down to 23psi, but the sand was pretty packed down from recent rains. I stayed in 4wd Hi. I have been there many times in other trucks and SUVs and never gotten stuck. Just air down to 20psi or so, and keep momentum in the soft stuff.

A different concern is the deep puddles on the back sides of the dunes, depending on where you are going. I used my Off Road 2 setting on air suspension to stay as high as I could in the deep water.

Enjoy!

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's been an wickedly dry summer here in SE Mass... so the sand on Cape Cod in most spots is really loose and windblown. Better packed closer to the water, but you can only take that so far and even then...

Sand conditions can and will change, particularly as we edge closer to Fall and the weather changes. Just be prepared, air down to what's advised, and don't forget to engage 4WD like I did this weekend. Momentum is your friend.

And yes, as above, beware of the tides... not just on the beaches but on the travel corridors. Coming around a dune to find a huge pool of sea water can be very disconcerting. If you got somewhere because it's low tide... very possible you can't get back until the next one... 12.5 hours later.

PS - for low profile tires I'm not sure what the answer is on tire pressures... not much sidewall to bag out. ExtinctBird seemed to do ok.

Renegade3

Reaction score
I spent last week on the OBX sand with my Longhorn. It did fine with the 22" Touring tires inflated down to 23psi, but the sand was pretty packed down from recent rains. I stayed in 4wd Hi. I have been there many times in other trucks and SUVs and never gotten stuck. Just air down to 20psi or so, and keep momentum in the soft stuff.

A different concern is the deep puddles on the back sides of the dunes, depending on where you are going. I used my Off Road 2 setting on air suspension to stay as high as I could in the deep water.

Enjoy!

Was down there in my Jeep over the 4th of July weekend (long time owner down there). One of those damn puddles scared the hell out of me! I got out and checked the depth and didn't check far enough. My 11 year old FREAKED out when the water hit hood level. I had a pucker moment....

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Was down there in my Jeep over the 4th of July weekend (long time owner down there). One of those damn puddles scared the hell out of me! I got out and checked the depth and didn't check far enough. My 11 year old FREAKED out when the water hit hood level. I had a pucker moment....

This happened to me a few years back. We got a tropical storm that brought 14 inches of rain in 48 hours. To get out from behind the dune (that where the driveway to the house was) and onto the beach we had to drive through water that was over the front bumper on my Jeep. Kinda funny watching the tow companies come pick up the Rav4s, CRVs, and Escapes. Tow company would put the vehicle on a trailer, tow it through the water, then drop on the beach hard pack. Cost was $270 for a tow about 300 yards.

dinomufin

Reaction score
did you have your front diff breather raised? If not, could be water in there.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
Just got back from our Outer Banks, NC trip. It was a great time. Encountered lots of different types of sand. The beach had very deep ruts and and some areas had developed deep whoops that really tested the suspension. I was very impressed with the Rebel suspension and Bilstein shocks; my Jeep would have rattled my teeth loose if I went through those ruts at the same speed. The ground clearance and skid plate of the Rebel proved beneficial as I watched other trucks navigate the sand. Truck performed really well. I caught a beautiful Red Drum too!! IMG_5350.jpg
IMG_5356.jpg IMG_5343.JPG IMG_5357.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread