5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Beach Driving on 22's

carbuy11

Reaction score
We are taking the kids to the outer banks next week in my 2019 Limited with 22's. Has anyone had experience beach driving with those big wheels? I have the stock tires on them. Any advice on how much, if at all, to lower the tire pressure? Thank you.

Shanesrt8

Reaction score
definitely lower your tire pressures. I have found 15 psi works great for me.

carbuy11

Reaction score
Thanks. The sidewalls on the 22's are not real tall. I'm worried too much pressure drop could cause the tire to lose its bead with the rim.

ExtinctBird

Reaction score
Thanks. The sidewalls on the 22's are not real tall. I'm worried too much pressure drop could cause the tire to lose its bead with the rim.
Please let me know how this goes. I am booked for Carova at the north end of OBX in August, and I have the 22's with the Goodyear tires. We have driven that beach many time in the past, but not with this truck. Enjoy!

ThatThingGotaHemi

Reaction score
I think if the Game Warden wants to get picky tires need to be atleast 20 psi on the beach. If they aren't then he might get that carbon copy paper out on ya if he's having a slow day. Gotta get an ORV Pass too these days... some places it's def required like in Corolla I think?... Hatteras I think it's just a suggestion.. but yea 15-20psi and keep it in the ruts :)

wouldn't worry about it rolling the bead off at 15-20, it'll just look scary. I wouldn't try 10-15 though, def roll her off.

side story:
Back in College i aired the old Jeep back up at Frisco Rod and Gun.. That air compressor is helluva unit. I didn't have my gauge with me so just eyeballed it and got the shoulder of the tire to sit "just right"... drove 6 hours home...got and extra 5 mpg than normal... had them at 54 psi.. lol thankfully they were E rated. So just watch that Frisco Rod and Gun air compressor...it'll put 40psi in a tire in like 15 seconds...haha

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We are taking the kids to the outer banks next week in my 2019 Limited with 22's. Has anyone had experience beach driving with those big wheels? I have the stock tires on them. Any advice on how much, if at all, to lower the tire pressure? Thank you.
They are touring tires. dropping the pressure wont help much. Stay in 2wd and OUT of 4wd unless you need it. Don't use auto. If you start to get stuck, go to 4wd and keep your foot out of it. You spin and you die. Do not do hard turns, or try to u turn. Go straight and no matter how inviting an smooth closer to water is don't go near it.

Go to harbor freight and buy a cheap tow strap and a recovery strap you can loop through your tow hooks and not mar them up.

carbuy11

Reaction score
Last night we had a good rain. I think it helped conditions. We made it down the access ramp 67 at normal 40psi, then started to hit some softer stuff. I dropped down to about 25psi and chugged along in 4WD Low. All good.

Attachments

• 20200702_125530.jpg
    20200702_125530.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 112

orange01z28

Reaction score
All my previous trucks never had TPMS, does it go nuts when you air down? Or is it just one alarm and then it leaves you alone?

carbuy11

Reaction score
It lights up red but you know why and it is no prob. No audible alerts that I could hear over the chatter and excitement of the kids.

N0cturnal

Reaction score
They are touring tires. dropping the pressure wont help much.

Ignore above advise. I take my Jeep GC 30-35 times a year on a beach here in MD, and the all season tires work fine on sand on my 20 inch wheels. Like everyone already said, lower down the psi. I usually go for 18 psi all around had zero issues. Of course, I also take Maxtrax just in case if there is no one to pull me out on a empty beach. .

I have seen more pimped up trucks with mud and offroad tires stuck in the sand for two reasons - not airing down the tire, or driving like an idiot. Also offroad and mud tires will dig deep in the sand easily if you are not careful.

ThatThingGotaHemi

Reaction score
Last night we had a good rain. I think it helped conditions. We made it down the access ramp 67 at normal 40psi, then started to hit some softer stuff. I dropped down to about 25psi and chugged along in 4WD Low. All good.

We're heading down tommorow stayin in Frisco. If you see a Silver Tacoma that's me, I'll wave at ya lol... one last trip in the Tacoma before my ordered Limited gets here...

How's the crowd?

carbuy11

Reaction score
That's cool. Enjoy your trip. We were at Ocracoke and returned back to mainland this afternoon. The crowds on the beach were quite low. We went in the early mornings and early evenings.

DRebel

Reaction score
I air down to 20 psi every weekend and no issues.

Attachments

• EA54C328-3CD7-4A6C-AE96-4DDFDA73B5C6.jpeg
    EA54C328-3CD7-4A6C-AE96-4DDFDA73B5C6.jpeg
    195.9 KB · Views: 78

Users who are viewing this thread