5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Voltage Unstable

Julio8oa

Reaction score
Hey everyone!
I've been noticing that my battery voltage is unstable. It USED to hang out at 14.2 steadily, but recently its at 14.3 and it goes back and forth from 14.3 to 14.2 OR up to 14.4 consistently. If it decides to rest at a stable voltage, it'll be for a couple minutes before it starts acting up again.
The more worrisome parts is that I've seen it surge all the way up to 15v and immediately drop down to 13.5 and then slowly creep up. It will throw an orange service message but its up for about half a second before it goes away and I'm not able to catch what the actual error is. the only thing I've caught is say is ''park not available.''
i do notice my lights flicker
Current things done to it are LED low beams and LED fog lights and i added 2 subwoofers.
These issues happened WAY after these things had been installed.
Stock OEM battery did give out on me six months ago and was replaced with a yellow top optima due to hearing those were great batteries.

Has anyone encountered this?
And if so what was the remedy?
Thanks in advanced!

did you do the whole battery relearn process? I just replaced my battery and was warned to be sure to follow it otherwise rando issues will crop up. Ill post the screen shot I took of the process when I get back to my phone in case you need it.

The minor variations in the 14's arent concerning, but the jump to 15 and the flickering could certainly be. If the warning isnt showing on the dash then there MAY be a code saved. You can use a reader on your own, go to an auto parts store to have it read, or take it to the dealer. Nearly anything electrical Id just get it to the dealer for since its so easy to mess a small thing up and make it into a bigger problem.

Hey everyone!
I've been noticing that my battery voltage is unstable. It USED to hang out at 14.2 steadily, but recently its at 14.3 and it goes back and forth from 14.3 to 14.2 OR up to 14.4 consistently. If it decides to rest at a stable voltage, it'll be for a couple minutes before it starts acting up again.
The more worrisome parts is that I've seen it surge all the way up to 15v and immediately drop down to 13.5 and then slowly creep up. It will throw an orange service message but its up for about half a second before it goes away and I'm not able to catch what the actual error is. the only thing I've caught is say is ''park not available.''
i do notice my lights flicker
Current things done to it are LED low beams and LED fog lights and i added 2 subwoofers.
These issues happened WAY after these things had been installed.
Stock OEM battery did give out on me six months ago and was replaced with a yellow top optima due to hearing those were great batteries.

Has anyone encountered this?
And if so what was the remedy?
Thanks in advanced!
Which yellow top did you buy? The yellow top is a deep cycle battery, but not all are starting batteries.

Also, Optima is not as good as they used to be 30 years ago. I will never buy one personally. Especially with many other AGM batteries in the market that are cheaper and carry better warranties

It could be issues with your current battery because they don't last long anymore. Upgrade to a H8 battery.

Yup, regardless of charging issues; these new OEM batteries are junk. I have 500 miles on my truck and I've had to jump it twice already. They also have very little reserve. If I hook up my processor for more than 10 minutes at a time, I have to have a tender on it or she won't start.

did you do the whole battery relearn process? I just replaced my battery and was warned to be sure to follow it otherwise rando issues will crop up. Ill post the screen shot I took of the process when I get back to my phone in case you need it.

The minor variations in the 14's arent concerning, but the jump to 15 and the flickering could certainly be. If the warning isnt showing on the dash then there MAY be a code saved. You can use a reader on your own, go to an auto parts store to have it read, or take it to the dealer. Nearly anything electrical Id just get it to the dealer for since its so easy to mess a small thing up and make it into a bigger problem.
I just saw your other reply, will try when I get home! Thanks!

Which yellow top did you buy? The yellow top is a deep cycle battery, but not all are starting batteries.

Also, Optima is not as good as they used to be 30 years ago. I will never buy one personally. Especially with many other AGM batteries in the market that are cheaper and carry better warranties
Is there a brand you recommend or will anything do nowadays?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.
Back