5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Battery Replacement

Oldphart

Reaction score
HI Gang,

I've got a 2021 Lonestar 5.7 ETorque with 49k miles on it; purchased 3/21. The battery voltage has always ran between 13.3-13.8 until a month ago. Now it's between 14.0-14.6. It now takes a bit more time to start when cold in the morning. Could the increase in battery voltage from the ETorque battery be due to the battery failing? If another battery is indicated, what do you guys recommend? I've got a Batteries Plus close by that recommends either a Duracell AGM or the X2 AGM.......man, those are pricey but "buy once, cry once".

JLaw297

Reaction score
Not sure what climate you live in, but an EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery) is another great option. Has similar performance characteristics as AGM, faster recharge rate, built for start stop cycling, but does better under hood in a high heat environment where an AGM tends to suffer dry out failure. AutoZone sells them in their Duralast Platinum line. Have had one in my truck for 3 years now and still going strong.

Talon4U2NV

Reaction score
I just put an AC Delco AGM replacement in mine, it's around 14.6-14.8 driving on highway.. but windchill has been around -40 degrees lately to boot. Think I read that's bout where most are but it was some time ago. I am a standard Hemi with no E-torque.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
HI Gang,

I've got a 2021 Lonestar 5.7 ETorque with 49k miles on it; purchased 3/21. The battery voltage has always ran between 13.3-13.8 until a month ago. Now it's between 14.0-14.6. It now takes a bit more time to start when cold in the morning. Could the increase in battery voltage from the ETorque battery be due to the battery failing? If another battery is indicated, what do you guys recommend? I've got a Batteries Plus close by that recommends either a Duracell AGM or the X2 AGM.......man, those are pricey but "buy once, cry once".

My truck is a non-ETorque, so not sure how that effects the voltage. But the lowest alternator voltage I've ever seen is 13.8, this is after 3-4 hours of driving. However, my voltage after any start and initial drive has always been 14.4, then slowly drops to 14.2, and then about 14 after an hour or so.

My truck is a Jan 2019 build with original battery, no issues with my battery. I do live in a temperate zone, rarely gets below 40F, around 70F year round average. I also every couple of months fully charge my battery since I don't drive it regularly, maybe once or twice a week. If the truck sits for a couple of weeks, the sitting voltage is about 12.1v - 12.4v.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Update after 2 weeks. Installed the X2 AGM. Voltage was all over the place the first week or so; 12.6 - 14.0. Lately, it's been holding around 14.2 area. Hard to believe it took that long to reprogram itself but if it stays like this, I'm good with it. Note...I used the recommended replacement 94r and not the larger one that would fit if you remove the plastic tray insert.

70runner

Reaction score
Similar symptoms as OP last week. Replaced OE battery with Walmart Everstart Platinum H8. Everything back to normal.

Users who are viewing this thread