5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Balance weight question

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
Good Day

Got my Falken Rubitreks p275 65 18 put on today. Question is one took 1.5 ounces to balance. 2 took 2.5 ounces to balance the fourth one took 5 ounces to balance. They used the stick on weights.
They put the 5 ounce one on the right rear. It was done at a reputable local shop. The guy said 5 ounces is not that bad. He said they usually put the heavier one on the right rear. Will I have issues when I go to rotate the tires. Seemed to drive fine on the 20 mile drive home. Thanks for any input.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good Day

Got my Falken Rubitreks p275 65 18 put on today. Question is one took 1.5 ounces to balance. 2 took 2.5 ounces to balance the fourth one took 5 ounces to balance. They used the stick on weights.
They put the 5 ounce one on the right rear. It was done at a reputable local shop. The guy said 5 ounces is not that bad. He said they usually put the heavier one on the right rear. Will I have issues when I go to rotate the tires. Seemed to drive fine on the 20 mile drive home. Thanks for any input.
As long as they are balanced, it shouldn't matter where the tires are mounted. 5oz seems like quite a bit. If you find a shop that is willing to take the time to break the beads and rotate the tires, they can probably knock down the weighs some.

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
Thank You sounds good. Just looked like a lot of weights on there. I just wanted to make sure I didn't get a bad tire which is my luck.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Not familiar with that particular tire but if they are aggressive or knobby tires they can be a little inconsistent. Like mentioned above you can have someone rotate the tire on the rim to try and get the weight down a little bit. In my opinion as long as you aren't getting any strange vibrations I'd drive and don't worry about it

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
They're a little less aggressive than the wild peaks not by much. Definitely the most I have ever had. Guess I will give them some more time no problems so far though

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Might need a rebalance a couple times thru out it's life; don't be afraid to go back every 10-20k miles for that.

Non-Rebel ORP trucks have them as OEM, under the Wildpeak name, and lightweight for mpg. They are probably tougher and heavier as Rubitreks. I got 40k miles from the OEM. They're ok.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Never thought about that. Maybe the way to go
Personally not a fan of those balance beads but If you're going to try the beads then I would just try rotating the tire on the rim and getting it rebalanced first. In order to install the balance beads you need to separate the tire bead from the rim to get the bag of balance beads inside the tire. At that point just spin the tire on the rim and blow it back up and rebalance. You can't install the beads via the tire stem because of the tpms sensor

OhioBigHorn

Reaction score
I was doing some research and even at 5 ounces I am well under the 1% threshold of the total assembly weight.

Av1

Reaction score
You could always have them rotate the tire 180 degrees on the rim to see if it helps as mentioned previously. I could help or it could hurt.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it as long as the weight is secured well, and it is balanced.

I've seen worse.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Balance beads are the lazy way, and don't always balance
Its not necessarily a lazy way balance but I do agree they don't always balance correctly. They've been using them in the big rigs for years with good success but they are more forgiving than a passenger vehicle where you can feel vibrations easier than a tractor trailer. I tried them in my 11 ram and couldn't get them to balance. Friends use them in their motorcycle tires too

Users who are viewing this thread