5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BakFlip MX4

JoeI21

Reaction score
2022 ram 1500 short bed with ram box and mft and the silver cargo rails. Purchased the MX4 through bakflips site. when i went to go put the rails on the truck the driver side was very tough to slide in but ended up going on. the passenger side was next to impossible but again able to finally get it all the way up the rail and into position. unfortunately, when i out the cover on the passenger side did not sit flush with the bed like it did on the driver side. ended up having a 1/2 inch gap. i contacted bakflip and they said the rail could be bad.

long story short, 3 weeks later still waiting on a new rail.

anyone else with the same set up have any issues like this during install? everything i have read seems like it should be pretty basic and painless.

thanks

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
2022 ram 1500 short bed with ram box and mft and the silver cargo rails. Purchased the MX4 through bakflips site. when i went to go put the rails on the truck the driver side was very tough to slide in but ended up going on. the passenger side was next to impossible but again able to finally get it all the way up the rail and into position. unfortunately, when i out the cover on the passenger side did not sit flush with the bed like it did on the driver side. ended up having a 1/2 inch gap. i contacted bakflip and they said the rail could be bad.

long story short, 3 weeks later still waiting on a new rail.

anyone else with the same set up have any issues like this during install? everything i have read seems like it should be pretty basic and painless.

thanks
I think I saw on the forum somewhere that you have to use the black cargo rails which mount farther down the inside of the bed. I don't have ram boxes or cargo rails, so no prob for me. Try the search window or maybe someone else has their finger on it.

JoeI21

Reaction score
I think I saw on the forum somewhere that you have to use the black cargo rails which mount farther down the inside of the bed. I don't have ram boxes or cargo rails, so no prob for me. Try the search window or maybe someone else has their finger on it.
i think that’s incorrect. silver rails are what you need. it seems like my passenger side silver rail is sitting high

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I may
i think that’s incorrect. silver rails are what you need. it seems like my passenger side silver rail is sitting high
I may have got it backwards. I don't have that issue, so didn't take much note of it, just remembered seeing something on the forum.

Rocky55

Reaction score
I just installed the MX4 on my Rebel (with Rambox) on Tuesdsay. The instructions say that the rails might be tight to slide into the existing cargo rails and that soapy water might help. Mine were tight, but I managed to slide them all the way to the front of the bed. Where I ran into a bit of an issue was when installing the bolts to attached the cover to the rail on the passenger side. The holes did not line up and I had to pry the silver bracket on the rail to get the bolt in. It went in but without damaging the cover, but it was very tight.

I previously had a BAKflip G2 on my '14 Sport that I moved to my '17 Sport. It served me well for almost 9 years, but had gotten heavy and all of the cable housings (metal casing across each panel) had fallen out (rotten) about a year ago. I live in Canada and the truck is parked outside year round. It saw its share of rain, freezing rain and snow. I feel I got my money's worth.
The MX4 matte finish looks so much better. The panels are so much lighter and I love that I can shut the tailgate with the cover down. There are openings on each side of the tailgate where water can get in. I saw a post where someone used seals from amazon designed to block those off and might get them.

I would definitely recommend the MX4.

JoeI21

Reaction score
I just installed the MX4 on my Rebel (with Rambox) on Tuesdsay. The instructions say that the rails might be tight to slide into the existing cargo rails and that soapy water might help. Mine were tight, but I managed to slide them all the way to the front of the bed. Where I ran into a bit of an issue was when installing the bolts to attached the cover to the rail on the passenger side. The holes did not line up and I had to pry the silver bracket on the rail to get the bolt in. It went in but without damaging the cover, but it was very tight.

I previously had a BAKflip G2 on my '14 Sport that I moved to my '17 Sport. It served me well for almost 9 years, but had gotten heavy and all of the cable housings (metal casing across each panel) had fallen out (rotten) about a year ago. I live in Canada and the truck is parked outside year round. It saw its share of rain, freezing rain and snow. I feel I got my money's worth.
The MX4 matte finish looks so much better. The panels are so much lighter and I love that I can shut the tailgate with the cover down. There are openings on each side of the tailgate where water can get in. I saw a post where someone used seals from amazon designed to block those off and might get them.

I would definitely recommend the MX4.
ramseal.net works like a charm if you have the mft. perfect fit. you can search for the product on the forum or check out the site.

Users who are viewing this thread