5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Backup camera

Slass11

Reaction score
Just bought 2018 2500 tradesman. Tailgate was taken off for utility kap shell. Rear view mirror shows camera with a line thru it so obviously had a camera at one time? Was rear view camera stock in the mirror for this model? Can I purchase a oem camera and just mount on utility shell? What wires should I look for? Any help greatly appreciated.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
I just looked, i believe that the 5th gen rams are a digital signal over coax, and a little tougher to work with.

your 2018 isn’t quite as complicated. you should theoretically be able to pick up an OEM camera and get it wired to the stock harness, yes. the wiring should be available, as backup cameras have been a standard requirement on vehicles since around 2015/2016.

depending on your shell setup, you may have a fun time extending the harness to reach wherever you want to mount your camera, but it is possible. do some digging, but here’s a solid option i found

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Slass11

Reaction score
I just looked, i believe that the 5th gen rams are a digital signal over coax, and a little tougher to work with.

your 2018 isn’t quite as complicated. you should theoretically be able to pick up an OEM camera and get it wired to the stock harness, yes. the wiring should be available, as backup cameras have been a standard requirement on vehicles since around 2015/2016.

depending on your shell setup, you may have a fun time extending the harness to reach wherever you want to mount your camera, but it is possible. do some digging, but here’s a solid option i found

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you very much.

Users who are viewing this thread