5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Back up 2-6" with the door open and tailgate down

Pjwishlist

Reaction score
Any idea if I can disable to back up "safety" feature where you cannot drive the truck in reverse with the door open. I don't see how this was ever a safety issue, but alas ...
For example, I have just loaded up the truck with 2 yards of lunch and need to get as close as possible to a fence with the tailgate down. Or backing down a narrow low walled driveway or something like that. Not long distances, but I dont always have an "A" driver to jump out and tell me the distance between the back edge of the tailgate and something when in the down position, or where the water meter cover is in relation to my tire. Sure I can stop, opne the door for a second and close the door and back up an inch, rinse repeat.

Seems likes something that is overkill to me.

TravisJ

Reaction score
Every time I go to a dealership (not only Ram) they hype this feature like creating fire for the first time.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I could be wrong but I think if the seatbelt is done up you can open the door without the truck freaking out.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's can also be disabled in 4 Lo

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any idea if I can disable to back up "safety" feature where you cannot drive the truck in reverse with the door open. I don't see how this was ever a safety issue, but alas ...
For example, I have just loaded up the truck with 2 yards of lunch and need to get as close as possible to a fence with the tailgate down. Or backing down a narrow low walled driveway or something like that. Not long distances, but I dont always have an "A" driver to jump out and tell me the distance between the back edge of the tailgate and something when in the down position, or where the water meter cover is in relation to my tire. Sure I can stop, opne the door for a second and close the door and back up an inch, rinse repeat.

Seems likes something that is overkill to me.
I've been told this would do the trick.

01fca03e2610391fb911a9e9c66b0e78.jpg

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

singlerail

Reaction score
cant see tailgate from back window?
and you dont see how falling out of a moving truck is a safety issue?

Pjwishlist

Reaction score
cant see tailgate from back window?
and you dont see how falling out of a moving truck is a safety issue?
Your are right, in order to accurately back up I could use all of the non-existent low lying camera systems that show me where my tires reside and exactly how far I have to back up by inches. I can only imagine how after years and years of completing this task in every vehicle I have owned, that now I will of course fall out of a vehicle that suddenly slams on the brakes without warning when trying to back into my garage or through a narrow gate.

Users who are viewing this thread