5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B&W Tow & Stow Hitch

Jayson090

Reaction score
Context: First time truck owner who’s never towed before, but would like the ability should the need arise. Towing would likely be uHaul rental trailers and smaller ski boats. The truck is a stock ‘21 Ram 1500 Limited with air suspension.

I’m really interested in the B&W Tow & Stow hitch for the flexibility (three different ball sizes), adjustable height, and most importantly…. the ability to stow it out of the way when not in use. That last feature is key because I want to have it available, but will likely rarely use it… so busting my shins on a fixed ball is not appealing.

My question is what drop should I get since I don’t know exactly how it will be used? I was thinking 5”, but wondered if that would be overkill and I would regret it hanging down further than the 3”. Any advice? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For someone that is rarely going to tow, I'd think that's a little overkill. The time it takes to flip it from stowed position to usable, or vice versa is the same amount of time it would take to remove/install a regular hitch. As for the drop, that will depend on the trailer. With the trailer I have for my ATVs, a 3" drop was about perfect, but now that I leveled and put bigger tires on, I'd probably be better off with a 4" drop, but since it's not a lot of weight in trailer I will keep using my 3" drop hitch. 2" ball is pretty standard for most trailers. Light duty trailers may have a smaller on, and will probably never run into a situation where you would need bigger than 2".

Jayson090

Reaction score
For someone that is rarely going to tow, I'd think that's a little overkill. The time it takes to flip it from stowed position to usable, or vice versa is the same amount of time it would take to remove/install a regular hitch. As for the drop, that will depend on the trailer. With the trailer I have for my ATVs, a 3" drop was about perfect, but now that I leveled and put bigger tires on, I'd probably be better off with a 4" drop, but since it's not a lot of weight in trailer I will keep using my 3" drop hitch. 2" ball is pretty standard for most trailers. Light duty trailers may have a smaller on, and will probably never run into a situation where you would need bigger than 2".

Thank you! I recognize it’s overkill, but if like to store it there so I don’t have it floating around the cab or in the bed. Your comments are making me lean towards the 5” drop.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I store my ball hitch in the infloor boxes of the crew cab - fits great and no need to secure. I only use a 2" drop but can fit the hitch and my HD jumper cables in 1 box. I keep a shackle in the receiver when not towing which has come in handy for pulling someone else or pulling the truck and just swaps with the hitch.

gmcadams

Reaction score
I pull a bass boat and have the 5" drop, its adjusted all the way up. wish I would had got the 3" drop, less hanging down.

Jayson090

Reaction score
I pull a bass boat and have the 5" drop, its adjusted all the way up. wish I would had got the 3" drop, less hanging down.

That was my thought exactly. By “all the way up”…. You’re saying the 5” is overkill because it’s set close to even with your hitch?

gmcadams

Reaction score
That was my thought exactly. By “all the way up”…. You’re saying the 5” is overkill because it’s set close to even with your hitch?

yes its level with the top so I have excess hanging down, I'm getting ready to level the truck and larger tires so maybe it will utilize more of the drop. we will see.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yes its level with the top so I have excess hanging down, I'm getting ready to level the truck and larger tires so maybe it will utilize more of the drop. we will see.
Whoa, I was about ready to cut mine off. Thanks for bringing that up about a lift/drop.

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oof a little pricey for not towing much, in my opinion. Between my dad and I, we have 3 different trailers, with 3 different heights, and different ball sizes. I just have a couple tractor supply Reese hitches in different drops (or raises when flipped over). It may not be as quick as the above system, but I can cover just about anything. I don't carry them in the truck unless I know I'm gonna need to. I keep a d ring shackle receiver in the hitch full time though. If you do go my route, make sure you anti seize the threads on the ball. The chrome finish on a reese ball shank will seize to the nut right proper, speaking from experience.

wtyer

Reaction score
I had the 5" on my 2020 Limited 4x4 with the air suspension. I sold it a while back because it was too much drop. I will get the 3" next time. The air suspension will level you off once you hook a trailer up. I towed a 10' uhaul trailer and only dropped the ball 3" and the trailer was level. Towed a 14' enclosed trailer and the mount was not dropped at all to be level.

Jayson090

Reaction score
I had the 5" on my 2020 Limited 4x4 with the air suspension. I sold it a while back because it was too much drop. I will get the 3" next time. The air suspension will level you off once you hook a trailer up. I towed a 10' uhaul trailer and only dropped the ball 3" and the trailer was level. Towed a 14' enclosed trailer and the mount was not dropped at all to be level.

Thank you! This is exactly how I would be using it. Your experience has me leaning strongly towards the 3”. Much appreciated!

Purduegranite

Reaction score
Mine actually arrived today. Tow two boats a few times a year and random family trailers if needed. I got the 5", but I have a loft and larger tires which factor into that. I would have gotten a normal Reese but this gives me some options. It's more than I need but it's fine for now.

Jayson090

Reaction score
Mine actually arrived today. Tow two boats a few times a year and random family trailers if needed. I got the 5", but I have a loft and larger tires which factor into that. I would have gotten a normal Reese but this gives me some options. It's more than I need but it's fine for now.

Thanks for the feedback! Glad to hear this worked out for you.

Jayson090

Reaction score
Follow up. Ended up purchasing the 3” drop 3 ball tow & stow. Used it for the first time this weekend and boy was it easy. Highly recommend if others are considering.

The Critic

Reaction score
1654027452244.png
This is the 5" model on my 2WD Big Horn with 18" tires and no suspension modifications. B&W says minimum 11" from the bottom is acceptable, but this still seems a bit low to me.

Follow up. Ended up purchasing the 3” drop 3 ball tow & stow. Used it for the first time this weekend and boy was it easy. Highly recommend if others are considering.

With the 3" model stow'ed away, how many inches of ground clearance is left?

Users who are viewing this thread