5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AZ Guys - MT or AT?

orange01z28

Reaction score
I didn't want to put this in the tire section because I wanted the opinions of those who live and off-road in the same conditions as I do. What kind of tires do you prefer for off-road performance for the vast majority of AZ trails? Muds or All Terrains?

RockYacht2020

Reaction score
Depends where you're going. I find that ATs are much more practical for a full-size truck. How much off-roading are you doing? ATs will be much quieter for the 98% of the time you're NOT on a trail. And we don't get a ton of mud, especially this year. I've taken a few water crossings, but they mostly have baby-head rocks at the bottom, not thick mud, so AT does just fine to keep the traction you need. So for AZ off-roading, I'd go AT. If you're planning to take it elsewhere, factor that in. And of course, like every other post in this forum, this is just one guy's opinion. Keep us posted on what you choose.

Also, I really like the quad cab; very pleased with that choice over the crew cab, since I don't have kids. Slightly shorter wheelbase makes off-roading just that much easier.

In unrelated news, I pinstriped the **** out of my truck this weekend doing some off-roading in Gardner Canyon. Fun stuff, dry as hell, and now I've got some nice truck tattoos. Oh well, it's what I bought it for.

orange01z28

Reaction score
Depends where you're going. I find that ATs are much more practical for a full-size truck. How much off-roading are you doing? ATs will be much quieter for the 98% of the time you're NOT on a trail. And we don't get a ton of mud, especially this year. I've taken a few water crossings, but they mostly have baby-head rocks at the bottom, not thick mud, so AT does just fine to keep the traction you need. So for AZ off-roading, I'd go AT. If you're planning to take it elsewhere, factor that in. And of course, like every other post in this forum, this is just one guy's opinion. Keep us posted on what you choose.

Also, I really like the quad cab; very pleased with that choice over the crew cab, since I don't have kids. Slightly shorter wheelbase makes off-roading just that much easier.

In unrelated news, I pinstriped the **** out of my truck this weekend doing some off-roading in Gardner Canyon. Fun stuff, dry as hell, and now I've got some nice truck tattoos. Oh well, it's what I bought it for.
I've got the pinstripes too. Going to be a good day of buffing before I actually sell it

I like the quad cab too, that's what I have

Thanks for the advice

Users who are viewing this thread