5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

axle ratio with offroad package

Kapnbill

Reaction score
Getting ready to order a fully loaded Laramie. I will use primarily on road but also do some light offroad, including launching a bass boat from the bank when our Texas lakes are low. Question: I plan to order air suspension and the offroad package and a 3.92 axle. Is there any issue combining the 3.92 with the offroad? I've checked all the dealerships in 200 miles and none of them have this combination so I'm wondering if there is an issue.
Thanks

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just ordered a Limited which has the air suspension, and I added off-road and the 3.92. No issues ordering.

Kapnbill

Reaction score
Thanks. I was wondering if the fact that dealers don't seem to be ordering that combo means anything. I definitely prefer the higher axle...I'll sacrifice a small amount of gas.
Did you get a chance to drive one before ordering?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No, but some others here did and were quite favorable toward the 3.92. I did get to spend a fair amount of time driving a Limited with the 3.21 and like others was a little surprised that it wasn't more "eager." confident the 3.92 will address that.
I'd have blindly gone with the 3.55 if they offered that with the eTorque Hemi but they don't so like you I am more willing to give up a little mileage for the extra ~3,100 lbs of towing capacity.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Kapnbill said:
Getting ready to order a fully loaded Laramie. I will use primarily on road but also do some light offroad, including launching a bass boat from the bank when our Texas lakes are low. Question: I plan to order air suspension and the offroad package and a 3.92 axle. Is there any issue combining the 3.92 with the offroad? I've checked all the dealerships in 200 miles and none of them have this combination so I'm wondering if there is an issue.
Thanks
I ordered a Laramie with 3.92 and off road package no problem at all.

Mopar21222

Reaction score
"Don't fear the gear" is my motto, it is amazing that the trucks on the lots more often than not have the 3.21s, I suspect the bean counters ordering them are looking at the $300 or whatever it costs for the 3.92s as $$$ in their pockets when negotiating a deal against a competitor.

As I explained to my saleslady, I had a '94 with 3.20s, swapped it to 3.92s, night and day and this was with 31" tires, not 32s or 33s. At the same speed and gear, the 3.20s are a 500 rpm drop vs the 3.92s. With the 8sd tranny (and especially Fords 10 spd) and 3.21s, if you are on the power at all, you basically don't use the upper gears, other than to skip thru them when you are back off the power.

On my 14 with 3.92s, I've found that the "split" gears 3-5-7 are beautiful RPM range when towing compared to the old 5-spd, with 3.21s, your 3-5-7 essentially become 2-4-6, so in effect you are losing a usable gear before O/D.

D

Deleted member103

My reference is/was the 2003 4X2 RAM 1500 Hemi that I happily owned for 13 years . Only addition was a 3rd party break controller ( Prodigy ), because over the years I towed -- 28ft. TT, 17ft aluminum Fish-Rite with 90hp.-Etec, 16ft Florida Flats Skiff with 30hp.-Etec -- All with the 3.21 rear . . . Never an issue or concern "she" couldn't do the job ! When not towing the gas milage was Great on the Hwy. with 24+mpg ( had the 'afe' airflow filter system installed in first year ) . . . and despite all the "controversy" over does it or doesn't it . . . I can tell you it DID improve the HWY. mpg; I drove the truck for 9 months prior to install and saw 20-22 mpg's ! But this is about "rear ends" so unless your an Off Road Fanatic pushing the DT to its limits, the 3.21 ( for better mpg ) is my Suggestion . Further documented research, from professionals, may be another option !

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered the off road package with the 3.92 no issue either. Highly doubt dealers are ordering 3.92 for their lots that why you dont see them

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered the off road package with the 3.92 no issue either. Highly doubt dealers are ordering 3.92 for their lots that why you dont see them
During my test drives (read more here), I drove both a 3.21 and 3.92. The 3.92 made all the difference to me, as the 3.21 felt a little 'lazy' off the line. I ordered 3.92 and eTorque, so I'm optimistic that it'll get up and go ;)

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
During my test drives (read more here), I drove both a 3.21 and 3.92. The 3.92 made all the difference to me, as the 3.21 felt a little 'lazy' off the line. I ordered 3.92 and eTorque, so I'm optimistic that it'll get up and go ;)

I have been reading similar experices a lot on here just like yours. I am sure glad I bought the 3.92. Extra $95 for more force? you can always count me in on that.

D

Deleted member103

The biggest difference to factor in there is having a 4-speed automatic or 5-speed manual vs. today's 8-speed automatic transmission.

Yup, true indeed . . . I had the Auto-tranny, but not sure if it were 4 or 5 geared ?

I gotta admit I have been a bit disappointed in the Newest Hemi version AND the 8 speed combo ! The #'s should be better (IMO) . . . with my '03 & different trans. the Sticker said (best I recall :D) 13 & 17 ! Now with all the Hemi improvements & New 8-speed the #'s at 15 & 21 . In 15 years of innovation I was hoping for better ! But, it is what it is . . . so being who I am, will chose (again - my '16 G.C. ) the V6 ! Not sure how I feel about the eTorque thing - waiting to drive & compare with my G.C. V6 (without); especially "off the line" where IT is supposed to have its best usefulness (so they imply) .

Well, irregardless I'm just happy to be able to look forward to the day I can step inside my own DT turn the key - oops, I mean pushbutton it on, and GET-OUT onto some "jeep-type Trails," up to max-Level 4, after all its not a Rubicon :rolleyes: !

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I gotta admit I have been a bit disappointed in the Newest Hemi version AND the 8 speed combo ! The #'s should be better (IMO) . . . with my '03 & different trans. the Sticker said (best I recall :D) 13 & 17 ! Now with all the Hemi improvements & New 8-speed the #'s at 15 & 21 . In 15 years of innovation I was hoping for better !

Keep in mind that the EPA changed their fuel economy rating calculations in 2008. Your '03 with the 5.9L was originally rated at 13/17/15. That translates to 12/16/13 in the new EPA system. See this link for details. For comparison, a new Ram 1500 2WD rates 15/22/17. That means it averages 4 mpg better despite having 150 more HP and 75 more lb-ft of torque! The eTorque system will improve that even further.

D

Deleted member103

Keep in mind that the EPA changed their fuel economy rating calculations in 2008. Your '03 with the 5.9L was originally rated at 13/17/15. That translates to 12/16/13 in the new EPA system. See this link for details. For comparison, a new Ram 1500 2WD rates 15/22/17. That means it averages 4 mpg better despite having 150 more HP and 75 more lb-ft of torque! The eTorque system will improve that even further.

Speedy, Speedy, Speedy . . . slow down ! I'm not in this for the "win" . But to correct you, my 2003 was a 5.7-Hemi, not the 2002 5.9L . Generally speaking, All things are NOT equal and one can not "go back in time" to change what was or leap ahead to wonder "what if" -- so frankly, for ME, all these current day Facts are meaningless as a "reference to the-then". Does that make sense . NOT A QUESTION to be answered ! But clearly your study habits are to be commended and the knowledge a welcome asset to 5thGEN .

I look forward to learning from you as the months pass . (y) !

ps; to Jared, is there something "amiss" with these emojis ?

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not to be repetitive but yes, ordered a 3.92 with off road package and coil suspension. Got the coil because like I have mentioned before may put a small lift on it later. No problem. This brings up a question, does anyone know for sure if the off road package includes a 1” lift. I have read in a few articles that it does, however, the ‘details’ segment when I built the truck at the dealership did not show a lift with the off road package. Just curious. Thanks!

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not to be repetitive but yes, ordered a 3.92 with off road package and coil suspension. Got the coil because like I have mentioned before may put a small lift on it later. No problem. This brings up a question, does anyone know for sure if the off road package includes a 1” lift. I have read in a few articles that it does, however, the ‘details’ segment when I built the truck at the dealership did not show a lift with the off road package. Just curious. Thanks!
Somebody is going to have to measure this :) I ordered mine with 3.92 plus the Off Road Group plus the 4-corner air suspension, and it would be awesome if my truck can sit up to 3" higher than a non-Off Road, non-air suspension truck when I'm in OR2 mode.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great forum, looks like I found the answer. Seems a 1” lift IS part of the off road package.

Users who are viewing this thread