5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Avg MPG Calculation

Melang

Reaction score
I have both the current fuel economy and the average fuel economy displayed on my dash. However, I do not understand how the AVG MPG is calculated. Is it based on the last xx miles? If so, how many miles? Or maybe it’s based on the past xx minutes of actual driving. Can I manually reset this AVG MPG?

CSPCRX

Reaction score
As a new owner I’m also trying to understand this.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hold down the "OK" button to reset the Avg Mpg when on that screen. Wild guess but The calculation is probably based on the last time it was reset, similar to Trip A and Trip B

PetePA

Reaction score
I'm sure it's similar to the explorer I drive.

Scenario 1: If you reset the MPG, small changes in driving have a big impact on MPG. For example, if you grandpa drive on the freeway for 5 miles after resetting, your MPG might be 22 or something. Just say 22. After those 5 miles you get off the freeway and drive like a 19 year old (crazy), your MPG will rapidly decline.

Scenario 2: You reset the MPG 500 miles ago and have only driven freeway. Your current average MPG is 22. You get off the freeway and drive crazy again. Your average MPG will very slowly decline.

I would imagine it's a rolling average. If I were an engineer at Stellantis (I'd probably be Brazilian, but that's beside the point) I would give it a rolling average equivalent to 1 tank of gas... so whatever that is... 350 miles?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Doesn't really matter since neither one is accurate anyway. Reads anywhere between 0.5 and 1.5 mpg better than actual mpg calculated manually and it has done this on the last 3 Rams I have owned. Never reads worse that actual mileage; always reads better.

CSPCRX

Reaction score
I set my upper right screen to display current, help remind me what impact my left foot is having 🤣!

CSPCRX

Reaction score
I set my upper right screen to display current, help remind me what impact my left foot is having 🤣!
What, you guys don’t drive with your left foot? 😂

WOW meant right foot! Hadn’t had coffee yet clearly brain didn’t remember what foot does what!

Bigbags85

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can't quite remember but I think i saw something about the average mpg will continue calculating for up to either 10or20k miles if not reset. and then Trip A or B will show the average for those respective trips when you reset them.

Users who are viewing this thread