5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auxiliary switches

Tuckerman802

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the auxiliary switches below the media screen? I’m adding a light bar and am trying to avoid adding aftermarket switches, I want the interior to stay clean and original.
1682372377865.jpeg
This is my current auxiliary lineup under the media screen. Do any of y’all know if the blank space/peg (first from the left) is a spare? It is loose but I’m scared of pulling it out and breaking it. Thanks in advance

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That switch would be the mode toggle for air ride equipped trucks. A different assembly part number 68309266 has all 5 switches.
- However -
They are low current momentary contacts plus backlight and indicator that connect back to one of the truck's many control modules which then controls the various things scattered around the truck.
- So, if I understand correctly -
You can add the upfitter relay module in the engine compartment, then do some reprogramming with AlfaOBD to enable the extra functions, and maybe run your lightbar from the relay modlue.
- Or -
You might be able to open up the switch assembly, isolate the contacts (and lights) you want to use, and run wires from them to your own homebuilt switching system. I have tentative plans to go down that particular rabbit hole myself one of these days, time permitting. But for now, that's all I know.

SOWARDCUSTOMS

Reaction score
Does anyone know anything about the auxiliary switches below the media screen? I’m adding a light bar and am trying to avoid adding aftermarket switches, I want the interior to stay clean and original.
View attachment 157289
This is my current auxiliary lineup under the media screen. Do any of y’all know if the blank space/peg (first from the left) is a spare? It is loose but I’m scared of pulling it out and breaking it. Thanks in advance
82216449AB Is the switch kit with relay box.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
with the amount of money you spend doing that you might as well just pick up a switch-pro.

you'll get 8 switches that you can use while the truck is off (if you change the setting in app) if you end up getting more lights in the future.
1683367174067.png
You can also turn lights on while not in the truck with bluetooth to mess with people getting too close to your truck.

A-TEAM

Reaction score
This is my clean install of a push type marine switch in that panel for aux lighting. I planned on putting two there but only one would fit due to the design behind the panel.

Attachments

• IMG_1381.jpeg
    IMG_1381.jpeg
    159.9 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_1382.jpeg
    IMG_1382.jpeg
    160.7 KB · Views: 114

Iridium

Reaction score
This is my clean install of a push type marine switch in that panel for aux lighting. I planned on putting two there but only one would fit due to the design behind the panel.
That is clean. I was wondering myself on OP’s existing switch but yours looks better and more cost effective.

Playmaker10

Reaction score
I checked MOPAR and they are reporting the Auxiliary Switch Kit - Mopar (82216449AC) has replaced the 82216449AB.

Has anybody has any experience with this kit yet?

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks nice. I have a trailer brake controller in that spot, so looking for other ways.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks nice. I have a trailer brake controller in that spot, so looking for other ways.
just go aftermarket. switch pro can handle the light bar without needing a relay or anything like that.
also allows for future expansion.

JRD

Reaction score
just go aftermarket. switch pro can handle the light bar without needing a relay or anything like that.
also allows for future expansion.
Would you mind posting a link to that switch pro? When I try to google it Nintendo comes up.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
with the amount of money you spend doing that you might as well just pick up a switch-pro.

you'll get 8 switches that you can use while the truck is off (if you change the setting in app) if you end up getting more lights in the future.
View attachment 158153
You can also turn lights on while not in the truck with bluetooth to mess with people getting too close to your truck.
This is exactly what I did, except with 6 switches (didn't need 8). Exact same spot, and I just ran the wire through the firewall. Any new installs will take longer to bolt them on the truck than to wire them up.

**Went with a much lower price item than the switch pro. Auxbeam 6 gang switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J6MJD4N/

JRD

Reaction score
This is exactly what I did, except with 6 switches (didn't need 8). Exact same spot, and I just ran the wire through the firewall. Any new installs will take longer to bolt them on the truck than to wire them up.

**Went with a much lower price item than the switch pro. Auxbeam 6 gang switch https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08J6MJD4N/
What does “one side wiring” vs “both sides wiring” mean other than the obvious? Are there benefits to the both sides wiring, it seems slightly more.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What does “one side wiring” vs “both sides wiring” mean other than the obvious? Are there benefits to the both sides wiring, it seems slightly more.
I'm assuming it means all the wires just go in one side. Honestly didn't even look at it since I knew I only wanted 6 switches. Since I installed it I pushed the wires a little farther back in that crack, and it's barely visible now.
1711322476024.png

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score

i have 8 and now i'm feeling like i need more since I'm adding camping lights but don't want to utilize the double higher amp input lol
also switch pros have a splice connector so users can add a secondary control panel elsewhere (ie, main controller in the cab and secondary in the bed)

the thing with auxbeam and those chinese ones are the failure rate and the box size. done too many of those for customers that require warranty work or full replacement, few even failed on the trail too. none of them are installer issues but bad panel or bad controller. Same goes with those jaja designs and beijing designs... i always tell the customers when they bring them back for warranty work: see, if you bought a switch pro you wouldn't need to pay me again for the labor. now you're paying more than what you'd pay if you went with something professional race rated panels like switch pro or sPod the first time.

im biased against any china branded stuff only because i've done too many to know they are not just replicas and no long term reliable, and I much rather spend my time doing new install than to rip it out and reinstall even though I get paid the same.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
i have 8 and now i'm feeling like i need more since I'm adding camping lights but don't want to utilize the double higher amp input lol
also switch pros have a splice connector so users can add a secondary control panel elsewhere (ie, main controller in the cab and secondary in the bed)

the thing with auxbeam and those chinese ones are the failure rate and the box size. done too many of those for customers that require warranty work or full replacement, few even failed on the trail too. none of them are installer issues but bad panel or bad controller. Same goes with those jaja designs and beijing designs... i always tell the customers when they bring them back for warranty work: see, if you bought a switch pro you wouldn't need to pay me again for the labor. now you're paying more than what you'd pay if you went with something professional race rated panels like switch pro or sPod the first time.

im biased against any china branded stuff only because i've done too many to know they are not just replicas and no long term reliable, and I much rather spend my time doing new install than to rip it out and reinstall even though I get paid the same.
Agreed, but at the end of the day I can buy 6 of the Auxbeam I bought for the price of the Switch Pro. I've used Auxbeam before with good results, and if it lasts 5+ years it's worth the replacement at the price point. Hardest part of the install for this one was deciding where I wanted to put the box under the hood. I wheel my truck every now and then, but I'm not building a desert truck or anything like that.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed, but at the end of the day I can buy 6 of the Auxbeam I bought for the price of the Switch Pro. I've used Auxbeam before with good results, and if it lasts 5+ years it's worth the replacement at the price point. Hardest part of the install for this one was deciding where I wanted to put the box under the hood. I wheel my truck every now and then, but I'm not building a desert truck or anything like that.
well if a chinese panel works for you it works for you then.

Users who are viewing this thread