5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto Locking Doors?

gmatt

Reaction score
Just bought my 2019 Ram Limited and LOVE it. I traded in my Tahoe and the one thing the Tahoe did that it does not appear the Ram does is to auto lock the doors when you walk away from the truck. Does anyone no if the Ram can do this and if so how to program it? Thanks!

shauste

Reaction score
I looked in the owner's manual and I don't see that feature. Are you saying that after a certain amount of minutes the doors automatically locked or when the key fob was not in close proximity of the truck, the doors locked automatically?

gmatt

Reaction score
Yes, on my Tahoe when I was about 20 feet away with the key fob in my pocket the doors would lock and the horn would beep. Loved that feature. Hopefully they can add that feature on future software updates.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
no auto lock, after you close the door, you can either push the button on the door handle to lock or use the fob. you'll get used to it pretty quickly.

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, on my Tahoe when I was about 20 feet away with the key fob in my pocket the doors would lock and the horn would beep. Loved that feature. Hopefully they can add that feature on future software updates.

Go to MOPAR.COM and scroll to the bottom to send them an email!

yellowboy

Reaction score
I hate honking horns for all this tech, we need less noise not more in our environment . I had a loaner 2018 F150 and everytime I got out of it in my driveway (running) to get something I forgot it honked twice. I was told that cannot be disabled so that and the freezing door latches has me here.

stillzaddy

Reaction score
Idk if it was answered already but my 2019 Ram 2500 locks after inactivity and lack of key fob detection. I only recently discovered it because I too was a little disappointed that it didn’t, however; last night I got home and hopped out my my truck and was running back and forth and dropped off my keys inside. After awhile I came back and the truck was locked. I’m not sure on the time frame it took but it did lock finally.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Idk if it was answered already but my 2019 Ram 2500 locks after inactivity and lack of key fob detection. I only recently discovered it because I too was a little disappointed that it didn’t, however; last night I got home and hopped out my my truck and was running back and forth and dropped off my keys inside. After awhile I came back and the truck was locked. I’m not sure on the time frame it took but it did lock finally.
Definitely not the case for the 1500's. I've gone for days without driving my truck, and it's never locked when I open the door unless I have remote started it. I always notice if the door is locked or not before even grabbing the door handle. Not sure why I do that, but it's ingrained into me for some reason. Anyway, for myself, I'm glad my truck doesn't lock itself. I would be okay with that as an option I could disable permanently, but not if it couldn't be disabled.

mike_ct

Ram Guru
Reaction score
there are several things in alfaobd that are non descriptive, but I'm wondering if any of them pertain to locks. We all know what passive entry is, but there is also a "police passive entry" and I dont know how it differs. I know the "police vehicle" makes the trunk, or in our case the tailgate inoperative remotely. Police passive entry I'm curious what they actually does. Or if there is a bcm setting for active locks.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
IDK how I would feel if my truck locked by itself. Kind of like that it's a manual process.

Cheers,

DeV

Reaction score
Just bought a 2019 limited... coming from a cadi XT5, I will definitely miss the auto lock feature... get out, start walking away, 1 horn beep confirmation 10 secs later and you know it's secure...

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Just bought a 2019 limited... coming from a cadi XT5, I will definitely miss the auto lock feature... get out, start walking away, 1 horn beep confirmation 10 secs later and you know it's secure...
Aftermarket alarm can add this feature

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hate honking horns for all this tech, we need less noise not more in our environment . I had a loaner 2018 F150 and everytime I got out of it in my driveway (running) to get something I forgot it honked twice. I was told that cannot be disabled so that and the freezing door latches has me here.
For anyone reading through this thread, in the infotainment wheicle settings you can set the honk with lock feature to only honk when you press the lock button twice. If you press it once, it locks and flashes lights without the honk.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The doors will auto lock if you place your hand on either front doors to unlock but don’t open the doors, the doors lock automatically after a minute or so, it happen to me a few times, I had to get something from the Rambox and it was locked so I placed my hand on the drive handle to unlock the doors (and Ramboxes) I got the stuff from then after awhile I heard the doors lock. There are no proximity sensors for the Ramboxes, however there is a sensor on the tailgate and will also auto lock after awhile.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
The doors will auto lock if you place your hand on either front doors to unlock but don’t open the doors, the doors lock automatically after a minute or so....

It took me 4 years to find it this exists while washing my truck today. I'm resurrecting this thread (instead of creating a new thread in case someone else hasn't figure this out either.

Not sure of other variables, but if you unlock your doors but not open a door, and just walk away, the truck will auto lock after a minute or so.

Last edited:

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It took me 4 years to find it this exists while washing my truck today. I'm resurrecting this thread (instead of creating a new thread in case someone else hasn't figure this out either.
It’s actually annoying as he11. When I wash my truck, it unlocks/locks like 30 times. If I remember before my hands are wet and soapy, I’ll take the key fob out of my pocket and place it far away from the truck.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It’s actually annoying as he11. When I wash my truck, it unlocks/locks like 30 times. If I remember before my hands are wet and soapy, I’ll take the key fob out of my pocket and place it far away from the truck.

I think that's the issue with the touch sensor when water touches them, definitely keep my key away when washing so it doesn't happen.

But what I'm talking about is unlocking the door, and having it automatically lock based on time after you walk away or it doesn't detect the key anymore. It will lock on it's own, assuming you haven't opened the door after unlocking after a minute or so.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think that's the issue with the touch sensor when water touches them, definitely keep my key away when washing so it doesn't happen.

But what I'm talking about is unlocking the door, and having it automatically lock based on time after you walk away or it doesn't detect the key anymore. It will lock on it's own, assuming you haven't opened the door after unlocking after a minute or so.
Right. And that’s what I was talking about. Water hits it and it unlocks, but then it locks again because I don’t open the door. Continuous cycle at that point.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Right. And that’s what I was talking about. Water hits it and it unlocks, but then it locks again because I don’t open the door. Continuous cycle at that point.

Oh gotcha, I figured it out when I unlocked the door, then forgot something in the house, when I got back it was locked. I thought I was losing my mind for a minute.

Users who are viewing this thread