5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Auto-leveling suspension

• Thread starter Thread starter Ejmartin
  • Start date Start date
E

Ejmartin

I am in my research phase prior to ordering a 2020 Laramie 2500. I have a large camper (37ft, 10,000lb) and want more muscle/suspension for getting it safely down the road. I’ve owned Ram 1500’s for over 20 years (currently on my 4th) but have never had one with the suspension option. I added aftermarket airbags to my current truck, 2017 Bighorn Crew 4x4 w/5.7, and it does a good job of towing our huge camper but is operating at the max of its specs so I’m upgrading to the 2500. There are actually several options I’m pondering...Mega Cab vs Crew Cab is next on the list.
The suspension is a $1,700.00 option and I never see it on dealer lots...I figure there has to be a reason for that. Any opinions or experiences on this would be appreciated. Cheers!

2500 with a lot of options will kill your payload
For a 37 footer at 10k I would even suggest a 3500 SRW

I have a 3500 Megacab and am sitting at 3987 lbs of payload. I also have a 37’ 5er at 14,000 lbs. arguably DRW territory

That said here are my thoughts
A 2500 can be a good option depending on a few things. It’s certainly far and away better than a 1500 when it comes to towing.
Keep your options light as it will give you more capacity on the truck.

When it comes to bags the aftermarket has it right. You have more control over your bags and load leveling. Additionally the compressors you’ll find on the factory system is largely under rated.

Furthermore air suspension is integrated into your truck making it an essential component and arguably far more complex than it needs to be. If you have a firestone bag go down or a compressor fail you can piece together these systems with ease.

When moving to the HD market working with ease and limiting complexity is going to be your friend.

This isn’t to say you wouldn’t be happy with auto level but in my experience the aftermarket way is the best option still.

Good luck on your search. I hope you find what you’re looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back