5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are used truck prices topping out now?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Only reason I ask is that my old 2019 Ltd is still sitting on the AutoNation lot after 3+ weeks and they have dropped the price $1K. The companion Ltd that was comparibly equipped and was already there on the lot when I sold them mine is still there as well. It's not from lack of visibility or presentation as when I click on the truck ad it shows everything, all specs and photos.

They probably thought it would fly right out of there even with the $4K markup. Now it's a $3K markup and I'll wager they had to put a battery in it as well.

Have you all noticed a leveling off of offers from Vroom, Carvana, KBB or anyone else?

The 2020 Laramie I traded in sold as soon as it got out of their detail shop. It was listed at $54k, which was $4k more than they paid me for it. I have no idea what they actually sold it for though. I haven't been keeping up with used truck values since I bought my Limited on May 1, so I really don't know if they have peaked yet.

I just google searched the topic and surprisingly one of the hits was for class 8 (semi's) trucks. The article was dated May 18, 2021 from: https://www.freightwaves.com/news/late-model-used-truck-prices-go-stratospheric
This is what it said:
"Prices of newer used trucks with low mileage are reaching historic levels with new truck deliveries slowed by supply chain issues and an ongoing shortage of microchips.

“[Auction] pricing for trucks with under 600,000 miles is in the stratosphere,” J.D. Power Valuation Service reported in its latest Commercial Truck Guidelines newsletter. For example, model-year 2018 trucks with under 500,000 miles are selling at auction for around $70,000.

Compared to the first four months of 2020, Power’s benchmark group of 4-to-6-year-old trucks were selling for 76.6% more than the same period a year ago."
End of copied portion.

Remember this is not about pickups but it seems the entire automotive industry is suffering from this.

Only reason I ask is that my old 2019 Ltd is still sitting on the AutoNation lot after 3+ weeks and they have dropped the price $1K. The companion Ltd that was comparibly equipped and was already there on the lot when I sold them mine is still there as well. It's not from lack of visibility or presentation as when I click on the truck ad it shows everything, all specs and photos.

They probably thought it would fly right out of there even with the $4K markup. Now it's a $3K markup and I'll wager they had to put a battery in it as well.

Have you all noticed a leveling off of offers from Vroom, Carvana, KBB or anyone else?

Likewise, AutoNation still has my 17 and the price dropped $1,000 today as well.

Maybe. But hard to tell. Today I sold my ‘19 with 31k on the odo to CarMax for 2k more than I bought it for 2yrs ago this month. Crazy times for sure.

My 2019 Laramie, which I sold for $49K, just got listed at $55K today (only $232 less than the original sticker). It'll be interesting to see when it sells, and if/when the price drops.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back