5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Are Bilsteins really better than OEM shocks?

Phinn

Reaction score
In about 6 weeks, I will be driving my 2022 RAM 1500 ecodiesel up the AlCan highway doing mild off roading as I go. I've replaced the 55 series tires with 70’s to gain more sidewall and went to 18" wheels from the stock 20” rims. I spend a lot of time on old gravel roads, and have found the stock shocks pretty stiff causing the rear end to dance around on washboard. If I replaced the nearly new OEM shocks with Bilstein 4600 shocks, would that help in off road situations? How will it drive on road? Thanks in advance, I don't want to spend the $ if it will do nothing.

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In about 6 weeks, I will be driving my 2022 RAM 1500 ecodiesel up the AlCan highway doing mild off roading as I go. I've replaced the 55 series tires with 70’s to gain more sidewall and went to 18" wheels from the stock 20” rims. I spend a lot of time on old gravel roads, and have found the stock shocks pretty stiff causing the rear end to dance around on washboard. If I replaced the nearly new OEM shocks with Bilstein 4600 shocks, would that help in off road situations? How will it drive on road? Thanks in advance, I don't want to spend the $ if it will do nothing.
The 4600's will last a lot longer and will give a bit better ride.

hockeyboy

Reaction score
I went to the Bilsteins at the same time that I replaced my rear springs, so there were two variables at play. If I'm carrying a significant load, I like them a lot better than stock. If the bed is empty, I didn't notice much difference. I do a lot of driving on washboard and there is some bounce, but when loaded it's mostly gone.

sdramsey24

Reaction score
For me, yes. Really like the different valving. Front end doesn't dive and act soft the way the stockers did. I also tow a bit and that performance is improved as well.

I agree with your move to put some real tires on your truck. The stock rubber is absolute garbage.

Users who are viewing this thread