5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone running Terra Grappler G2? Wet traction good?

Bleda2002

Reaction score
I really want to get the tallest p metric tire I can for my stock 20's and it seems the Terra Grappler G2 is the winners at 275/65r20. My worry is that some of the reviews say the tire is a straight white knuckle in the rain and given that I live in FL bad wet traction is something I can't forgive. Anyone have any experience with them in rain in the p sizes?

jfisher34

Reaction score
Ive had the G2's on my 2010 for about 3 years now. 305/55r20. The tire looks great and road noise is minimal. It barely looks like there is any wear although i've probably only put 20k on them. I thought i was crazy because although they perform awesome in the snow here in PA, i was always nervous in rain. If i take a sharp corner and touch the gas, my backend takes off. I've had a few "heart attack" moments. I thought "how can a tire perform so well in the snow but not so well in the rain". After doing more research, i've found others that have the same opinion. I'm waiting for my 2019 to get to the dealer to pick up and I'm leaning towards trying the Ridge Grapplers.

Bleda2002

Reaction score
Ive had the G2's on my 2010 for about 3 years now. 305/55r20. The tire looks great and road noise is minimal. It barely looks like there is any wear although i've probably only put 20k on them. I thought i was crazy because although they perform awesome in the snow here in PA, i was always nervous in rain. If i take a sharp corner and touch the gas, my backend takes off. I've had a few "heart attack" moments. I thought "how can a tire perform so well in the snow but not so well in the rain". After doing more research, i've found others that have the same opinion. I'm waiting for my 2019 to get to the dealer to pick up and I'm leaning towards trying the Ridge Grapplers.

I actually did put them on my truck and ended up being unhappy with them. They seemed a bit loose on wet road and in the high sidewall p275/65 size they felt loose and overly squishy even compared to my nexen's.

Thankfully i tirebuyer'd them so I was able to return them and replaced them with Cooper AT3 XLT's which other than being heavier, ride nearly as nice despite being LT and have significantly more grip in dry and wet.

PaGregSS

Reaction score
I've had a set on my Silverado for 3 years and I have been extremely happy with them and will likely put a set on my Ram at some point. My truck is towing a boat 90% of the time and I've towed for hours on the highway in the downpours with the Terra Grapplers and they have been rock solid.

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really want to get the tallest p metric tire I can for my stock 20's and it seems the Terra Grappler G2 is the winners at 275/65r20. My worry is that some of the reviews say the tire is a straight white knuckle in the rain and given that I live in FL bad wet traction is something I can't forgive. Anyone have any experience with them in rain in the p sizes?
I am a Florida resident as well. I had G2's on my 2012 Wrangler and they were awful on wet roads; they would hydroplane like crazy and struggle to get traction when accelerating. The G2 is a good tire; but not for Florida roads in the rain. It was downright scary to drive when the water was pooling. My recommendation for you would be Falken Wildpeak AT3/W. I had these on my 2003 RAM and they cut through puddles like nobody's business. In my opinion, the Wildpeak is a better tire than the G2 in all areas; it is by far the best AT tire that I have ever had.

Gkmathiesen

"MAX"
Reaction score
I had G2's on my '14 Bighorn for about 2 1/2 years, other than getting stuck in some pretty deep mud, they were awesome! Never had any issues with them at all. Perfect in the rain, at high speeds

schwizzle

Reaction score
Do not buy the terra grapplers. I had these on my 4 runner in Colorado where I frequently drive on steep curvy mountain roads in all conditions(snow, ice
,rain) and they were terrible. Traction does not even come close to the Cooper Discoverer AT3 I have now. Folks out here also swear by the Bfg KO2 for all season conditions. Only redeeming factor was wear seemed to be better than some of the other AT tires out there. Think I got 47k out of them.

rsonedecker

Reaction score
Personally I've found Terra Grapplers to degrade in road performance based on tire pressure. I never had any problems with non-LTs on one of my trucks because I never inflated it over ~38psi. But I had LTs on my wrangler, and would notice poor road manners especially in wet when hyper-inflated for the trails. I always attributed that to the fact that they lack any straight channels in the middle meat of the tire, unlike many other tires. Just look at the center of the Grapplers, the channels are in a Z pattern, not a nice straight or semi-straight path at all. And as such, I noticed they performed fine when aired down, but horrible when aired up - So I always kept them aired down below 40psi when not needed. And never had a problem after that, with them on 1 truck and two Wranglers.

PaGregSS

Reaction score
I think the vehicle factors in too. I've noticed a lot of bad reviews on short wheelbase and lighter vehicles like the jeeps, suvs, and tacomas. The more positive reviews seem to be on the longer wheelbase trucks.

Users who are viewing this thread