5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone locate the transmission breather tube?

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I've found the breather tube/vent line for the rear and front diff. Also for the transfer case. I can't seem to find the one for the transmission though. I only spent a minute under the truck looking but figured I'd ask here. Google wasn't able to help with our ZF8 speeds. I even looked at my old BMW forums since they have a similar trans, but they don't have to worry about water crossings :)

FYI: the rear one is ran up pretty high to the underside of the bed, but the front diff and TC are only barely sticking out of the housings. Makes no sense.

M1STTRS

Reaction score
Funny I was about to make a thread about this the other day about raising them up. Once the weather gets nice here I'll be raising them. Good to know about the rear.

dinomufin

Reaction score
Reviving dead thread.

Anyone make any headway on this? Curious how simple it would be to raise them up for water crossings.

TML_REBEL

Reaction score
Can you post pictures when you find the location? I would like to extend all of mine.

Chippy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
only the front diff and transfer case should be extended. I just picked up same size rubber hose they just pull off as well as I would call them breather caps just plug longer hose back in and pull caps off short hose to go back onto your longer and higher hose. Hope that helped

Last edited:

MotoMoose68

Reaction score
Funny I was about to make a thread about this the other day about raising them up. Once the weather gets nice here I'll be raising them. Good to know about the rear.
Yeah, the front breather is ridiculous! I want to work on this and any others that need it, but don't want to fight the cold.

GARebel19

Reaction score
I recently extended my front diff and transfer case breathers. Really easy to do and good for peace of mind. I will say that the caps the factory puts on the ends of the breather lines are at the very least splash proof/water resistant. While they were off I tested them in the kitchen sink. No matter how I held that cap under the faucet I could not make water come down the breather line. Here are some pics of the before and after transfer case and the after of the front diff.

Attachments

• 20201122_122516.jpg
    20201122_122516.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 20201122_125057.jpg
    20201122_125057.jpg
    182.6 KB · Views: 215
  • 20201122_122738.jpg
    20201122_122738.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 214

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I recently extended my front diff and transfer case breathers. Really easy to do and good for peace of mind. I will say that the caps the factory puts on the ends of the breather lines are at the very least splash proof/water resistant. While they were off I tested them in the kitchen sink. No matter how I held that cap under the faucet I could not make water come down the breather line. Here are some pics of the before and after transfer case and the after of the front diff.
Interesting. So do you think that's a one way valve of some kind?

GARebel19

Reaction score
That would be my guess. Had I known how effective they were I might not have extended the lines. But like I said its cheap peace of mind.

MotoMoose68

Reaction score
What size tubing did you use? I know we have different components, but maybe the breathers are the same size.
Yes, the cap on the end of the breather is a very simple check valve. Definitely not guaranteed.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I'm in a power wagon now, but I found the breather tube on the trans and it should be the same on the 1500.

You can see it from the driver side of the truck. It points straight up from directly on top of the trans. It a little tricky to find and can also be tricky to get off. I used my hands because I was too paranoid to use pliers and damage the outlet.

mgraham618

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone cares but I also installed extension tubes on my front differential and transfer case. It seems like the end plug cap is actually pretty decent. Here is the exact part being used that I found based off my research:

From the website:

Axles, limited slip couplings (LSCs), transfer cases and power transfer units (PTUs) must perform reliably under rigorous conditions like splashing, submersion or weather extremes.

While other venting methods can protect against most of these conditions, they can also complicate the vehicle design, cause manufacturing issues, and increase labor costs. Validation expenses may also be higher if multiple designs are required. Other venting methods may also add to the vehicle’s weight – making it more difficult to reach weight reduction and fuel economy targets.

GORE Automotive Vents for Drivetrain & Driveline Components deliver high performance in a compact, patented design that:

• Blocks entry of environmental contaminants like dust, grit, dirt and mud
  • Prevents water intrusion by withstanding rain, sprays, splashes and submersion
This patented technology is also highly versatile: It’s a single solution to multiple challenges inherent in designing, validating, installing and reliably protecting drivetrain and driveline components.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone cares but I also installed extension tubes on my front differential and transfer case. It seems like the end plug cap is actually pretty decent. Here is the exact part being used that I found based off my research:

From the website:

Axles, limited slip couplings (LSCs), transfer cases and power transfer units (PTUs) must perform reliably under rigorous conditions like splashing, submersion or weather extremes.

While other venting methods can protect against most of these conditions, they can also complicate the vehicle design, cause manufacturing issues, and increase labor costs. Validation expenses may also be higher if multiple designs are required. Other venting methods may also add to the vehicle’s weight – making it more difficult to reach weight reduction and fuel economy targets.

GORE Automotive Vents for Drivetrain & Driveline Components deliver high performance in a compact, patented design that:

• Blocks entry of environmental contaminants like dust, grit, dirt and mud
  • Prevents water intrusion by withstanding rain, sprays, splashes and submersion
This patented technology is also highly versatile: It’s a single solution to multiple challenges inherent in designing, validating, installing and reliably protecting drivetrain and driveline components.
reviving old thread.
is that the OE cap/ vent?

Users who are viewing this thread