5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone in Minnesota with the capability to adjust the auto headlight sensitivity?

jmiller8605

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm looking to lower the sensitivity of the auto headlights. They come on too soon which through the screen into night mode and is impossible to see during the early morning and late evenings. Super annoying, but not worth the couple hundred bucks to own my open copy of AlfaOBD and required hardware.

Thanks!

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not the answer you're seeking but have you used the dial next to the headlight switch to increase the brightness? I am in MN and find the screen to dim or too bright often - haven't found a good way to adjust in Uconnect for all situations but a quick move of that dial helps for those situations. There are 2 dials and if memory serves it is the one furthest to the right.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Interested in this as well. I can’t figure out what the truck uses to determine if the headlights should be on or not. Some mornings it will be sunny and they turn on when I start up and then this morning I left 15 mins earlier than usual totally cloudy and they are off. They also don’t seem to want to turn off when it gets light out, a couple days ago I threw a rag over the sensor in the middle of the dash and they still stayed on. Turned the truck off, removed the rag and started again and they stayed off. I see some setting for sensitivity in alfa but it doesn’t seem straight forward, two different voltages so I haven’t messed with it yet.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Not on the ram. Just click your dinner to the brightest setting and the radio goes into day mode

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmiller8605

Reaction score
Interested in this as well. I can’t figure out what the truck uses to determine if the headlights should be on or not. Some mornings it will be sunny and they turn on when I start up and then this morning I left 15 mins earlier than usual totally cloudy and they are off. They also don’t seem to want to turn off when it gets light out, a couple days ago I threw a rag over the sensor in the middle of the dash and they still stayed on. Turned the truck off, removed the rag and started again and they stayed off. I see some setting for sensitivity in alfa but it doesn’t seem straight forward, two different voltages so I haven’t messed with it yet.
Rebel, those are the exact parameters I'm looking to adjust. Are you in MN?

Essentially how those numbers works is that the sensor relays voltage based on how much light is available. Lower light returns a lower voltage, more light and you get a higher voltage.

If you lower the voltage setting for the headlights on, it will have to be darker out for them to flip to on.

I'm guessing it'll be a bit of guess and check to get the parameters right.

Bringing those two values closer together will mean they will turn on/off more frequently and more quickly.

jmiller8605

Reaction score
Rebel, do you have the hardware to tap into the alfa system? I'm not sure what all is required as far as hardware and software and just don't want to buy into it for one change.

Rebel2022

Reaction score
Yes I have Alfaobd and the hardware but I’m roughly 1600km away in Alberta. I will mess with those voltage here one of these days and report back some results.

Users who are viewing this thread