5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone have burn in issues with there uconnect screen?

MMM1210

Reaction score
I noticed that ever since the weather started getting colder that I've been getting burn in issues issues... I'm going to take it to the dealer to get it fixed but I was just curious to know if anyone else had this issue so I can maybe bring it up to the dealer...

Blazn

FifGen
Reaction score
I personally haven't had any issues. I've done several 300 and one 1000 mile straight through trips recently. I left Android auto/Google maps on.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On extreme cold mornings my 16' would have ghost images until warm.... this is all I get on my 19 once and a while,
20181107_152714.jpg

Chris

Reaction score
That's Ghosting, not burn-in; Burn-in is a condition caused by wear on the LCD crystals in which the crystals can no longer return completely to their original points, being stuck at a point somewhere in between; sometimes it is only temporary and the crystals are just stuck (left on for days in a row, but not over thousands of hours), sometimes special reconditioning programs built into the screens can restore some functionality (not sure how, maybe overvolting to overcome blockages?), but often it is the screen reaching the end of it's useful operational hours and indicates needing replacement.

Ghosting, on the other hand, can happen at any time; every screen requires a set amount of time for the crystals to change state, and faster changes require faster responses. When it cannot respond fast enough, you see trailing images like a comet as the crystal is still changing state while the frame has already moved on (it is where the common symptom of fast action sports games with the ball and action jumping around the screen and the bright images leaving a trail originates from).

When a screen gets colder, the ghosting increases (the "liquid" in the crystal has trouble changing states when frozen, just like beer); this is true of all LCD screens, and you can easily see this by leaving your phone in the fridge overnight. The vehicle is no different, and until the screen warms up, you will see ghosting. There is nothing the dealer can do to change this; the less change in the image, the less you will see this.

After your vehicle has been running and the screen has had a chance to warm up (say, 15 minutes), does the ghosting go away, or is it still apparent?

On a side note, I have seen the same issue appear very severely at gas stations with the built-in screens when the temperature is well below freezing in winter.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, I probably shouldn't have chimed in, I know the difference and in a weird way was saying I have no burn in on my 19 Rebel, just blue screen. The ghosting on my 16 Rebel was just an aside that at the time seemed relevant.

Chris

Reaction score
Sorry, I probably shouldn't have chimed in, I know the difference and in a weird way was saying I have no burn in on my 19 Rebel, just blue screen. The ghosting on my 16 Rebel was just an aside that at the time seemed relevant.
I was actually replying to the OP; I should have specified. Although you first posting that you get ghosting until warm and then showing a blue screen was confusing, so that clarification still helps. I've yet to have any issues with my 8.4NAV (with a minor exception of not being able to adjust the equalizer from "Media" and needing to be in "Radio"), knock on wood

Users who are viewing this thread