5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any paint correction or porter cable users ?

MN5241

Reaction score
I haven't touched a black car in years, but Lake Country 6" orange or Meguiars Microfiber for cutting, white for finishing, and if lazy black or blue for applying sealant/wax.

I like the flat style pads.

geotex1

Reaction score
Back in the day, I worked in a body shop and all I did was perfect paint!

Today, I swear by a PC and a wide assortment of Lake Country pads unless serious correction is needed (polishing out a wet sand needs a rotary). Need the pads to be matched to the task and never cross-used!

With regard to product, what are you after? Correction? Sealing?

troutspinner

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a Porter Cable this past fall but I haven’t used it on my truck yet as I had it ceramic coated a week after I bought it. I did however buy it to fix a 4’ long scratch on the side of my boat. After filling it in with touch up, I used the white pad that came with it as a cutting pad and then used a Griots finishing pad.

I was so impressed with the results of the finishing pad that I did the rest of the boat. I went over it with a fine tooth comb, lights, sunlight and that red paint came out perfect. I even a had a few guys comment on it while at the dock fishing one day. They pretty much agreed they’d never seen a boat that clean. Lol. It didn’t take long for me to get it dirty though. ;)

Anyways, very pleased with the PC and the Griotts finishing pad. I do however hope it is a LONG time until I have to use it on the truck but when I do, I’m confident the results will be impressive.

KRField

Reaction score
Get a 5” backing plate and pads. It will waken the machine up and make quicker correction.

I like Buff and Shine, Lake Country, and Meguiars Microfiber pads. As far as liquids I prefer Polish Angel Master Cut, Polish, and Escalate Lotion. If not using their coating, the Master Sealant is superb.

Another is 3D AAT liquids.

Also 3” backing and pads for bumpers, pillars, and smaller areas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I use this: https://www.autogeek.net/flex-orbital-polisher.html
Flex 3401
I tried the PC and just couldn't get the results I was looking for.

I've since sworn off black cars and won't own another. But, back in the day, this was my tool of choice. It's still sitting on the shelf in a bag, in case I ever screw up and get another black car.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had a porter cable in the past until it sheared off. I switched to Griots polisher at that point. Until this truck, I've only owned black vehicles. Which pad always depends on which polish I'm pairing it with and what I'm hoping to accomplish on the paint condition. I've had good luck with the Lake Country Hydrotech pads and recently the Spider Pads. And like KRField said, get a 5'' backing plate and 3'' as well. Those make it so much easier than the big 6 inch pads.

Has anyone hit their new truck with a paint thickness gauge yet?

KRField

Reaction score
I've had a porter cable in the past until it sheared off. I switched to Griots polisher at that point. Until this truck, I've only owned black vehicles. Which pad always depends on which polish I'm pairing it with and what I'm hoping to accomplish on the paint condition. I've had good luck with the Lake Country Hydrotech pads and recently the Spider Pads. And like KRField said, get a 5'' backing plate and 3'' as well. Those make it so much easier than the big 6 inch pads.

Has anyone hit their new truck with a paint thickness gauge yet?

Not yet, but can this weekend. When I bought the truck, I just decon washed, IronXed, and slaped a sealant on. I was waiting for my full correction this spring, and record thickness. I’m still trying to figure out what coating I want to apply to the vehicle.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not yet, but can this weekend. When I bought the truck, I just decon washed, IronXed, and slaped a sealant on. I was waiting for my full correction this spring, and record thickness. I’m still trying to figure out what coating I want to apply to the vehicle.

I put Cquartz UK 3.0 on when I got mine. I don't think the ease of use was fantastic, but doable. A friend who used to do cars at shows also did his vehicle with it and said the same thing. Oddly enough, I had two lines off my front hood a month or so later. They were exactly where water had frozen on the hood. I contacted Carpro and they said it was impossible for water to have caused those lines. I agree, but I also have zero clue what could have caused such uniform water type lines to do that. I tried following the troubleshooting advice they provided, but it only expanded the lines. The coating very clearly failed in those lines somehow. The rest of the truck seems like it is doing great with it and I still have some of the UK left, so I plan on hitting it with reflect to polish off the existing coating on the hood and re-applying.

I'm also going to do a proper correction on my wife's 6 year old black Camry, and then apply a coating. I might try the Polish Angel Viking Coat for that.

KRField

Reaction score
I put Cquartz UK 3.0 on when I got mine. I don't think the ease of use was fantastic, but doable. A friend who used to do cars at shows also did his vehicle with it and said the same thing. Oddly enough, I had two lines off my front hood a month or so later. They were exactly where water had frozen on the hood. I contacted Carpro and they said it was impossible for water to have caused those lines. I agree, but I also have zero clue what could have caused such uniform water type lines to do that. I tried following the troubleshooting advice they provided, but it only expanded the lines. The coating very clearly failed in those lines somehow. The rest of the truck seems like it is doing great with it and I still have some of the UK left, so I plan on hitting it with reflect to polish off the existing coating on the hood and re-applying.

I'm also going to do a proper correction on my wife's 6 year old black Camry, and then apply a coating. I might try the Polish Angel Viking Coat for that.

Yeah CarPro can be finicky, especially Reload. I prefer GTechniq, TAC System (some believe suppliers of original CarPro), and most Polish Angel.

I’m debating Tac Systems Sparkle, PA color match Cosmic or Cosmic V2.

Here is our Taurus that was done 2 years ago In April with the original Cosmic. I topped it once with Cosmic spritz and 2x with High Gloss (last app 4 months ago). This is after some rain 2 days ago.
f80ec18379b66dec191f1862b8308608.jpg

I have been very impressed.

Sorry to Hijack the thread OP.

Users who are viewing this thread