5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Antifreeze smell/slight brown sludge under radiator cap

SeaHogs

Reaction score
2020 Bighorn with 5.7 L with 41K miles. I’ve had a distinct antifreeze smell with no obvious leaks the last few months. Temps and gauges have all been fine. Just a strong antifreeze smell. Read up on it and it seems others have as well. Reservoir tank shows acceptable level of coolant. Oil level is fine and looks normal in color and nothing mixed.

I did take off the radiator cap after the engine cooled and noticed a slight brown liquid but under it was the right red color. I checked under the radiator cap this morning with the truck just sitting overnight and there was more brown grainy liquid at the top. Put my finger in more and it looked more like antifreeze. Am I overthinking this or is the smell after I drive and the grainy light brown liquid under the cap a big issue?

Last edited:

SeaHogs

Reaction score
Strong smell and brown scum doesn't sound quite normal.
Agreed. It wasn’t much scum but it was there after truck sat overnight. I just drove an hour today and checked it when it cooled and everything looks normal now. Definitely gonna bring it up next oil change or before.

Users who are viewing this thread