5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another want to buy new tires thread... Info Inside

dale661

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Laramie 4x4 with the Off Road Group Package. It has the 1" lift all the way around. I don't have the air suspension. The wheels are 20x9. The stock tires are the Falken Wildpeak AT3WA's in a 275/55r20. There isn't much space between the tire wall and UCA. From my "guestimates", there is about 19 mm.

Falken has the stock tire listed on its website as being 11.3" wide on an 8.5" wheel, so I'm guessing it's probably a touch wider being mounted on a 20x9.

The main tire I'm wanting to run is a Toyo RT in a 285/60r20. That's what I ran on my 2017. I'm just wondering if I might have any problems. Some people have told me I could run 35'x11.5's, but I don't want to go that big. I just want it a little bigger than what it is right now.

Also, what are you guys using to recalibrate the speedometer? Is the Hypertech one still working with the newer ones or is it better to go with something else?

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to hearing back from any of you with some knowledge!

gboyz2

Reaction score
Would have been nice if someone had replied to this, i could use the info myself.

jimothy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The rule of thumb is, every half inch of change in wheel width results in 0.2” change in tire width. So if it measures 11.3” wide on an 8.5” wide wheel, it should measure about 11.5” wide on a 9” wide wheel.

For recalibrating, these are the options I know of:
  • Pay a CDJR dealer
  • AlfaOBD
  • TazerDT (what I’ve used)
  • Rough Country Speedometer calibrator
There are probably other, similar products to those.

gboyz2

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback jtim. I have a Laramie on order coming in a month, Off road package, night edition so it will have same wheel/tire setup as Dale. Thinking about my max tire size and brand without leveling and was wondering if those Toyo RT in a 285/60r20 would work. I'll use your recalibration info and tire calc and do more research but it helps. thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread