5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another Option For Modifying the Fender for LArger Tires

Troop2865

Reaction score
I was reading 19BlkRam's instructions for modifying the fenders to assist fitting larger tires. It is a great write up and got me thinking. In his post, 19BlkRam cut the small metal support at the lower rear of the fender where the plastic button goes through the plastic mud flap and holds it in place at the bottom. He then drilled a small hole and ran a zip tie through the bottom of the mud flap (molding) and pulled it back through the small hole he drilled. He then used a heat gun and wet rag (which works very well) to reshape the plastic wheel liner front and rear to allow more room.

As I looked a little closer, I began to wonder if I couldn't simply bend the small metal bracket toward the rear, which in turn would pull the button that holds the bottom of the mud flap(bottom molding). I removed the wheel and used a short piece of 2x4 and a small sledge hammer to hit lightly against the flap where the button goes through. It only took a couple of light hits and it bent the bracket back about 3/4 to 1 inch. Nothing else bent other than the small bracket. The button stayed in place and pulled the lower inside portion of the mud flap (molding) back. The outside still looks the same with the molding being held in place by the two hex screws.

The paint did crack on the small bracket behind the molding. I simply pulled the molding back enough to spray it with some spray primer/paint. I gave it a real good coat like 19BlkRam recommended.

Below are pictures of front tire clearance before and after.

I greatly appreciated 19BlkRam's write up. Thanks. This may simply be an option for some.
tire clearance before.jpg tire clearance after.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread