5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another 3.21 vs 3.92 comparison

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
My 3.21s did fine going from upstate ny to midwestern KY. Sure it pulled grades in a higher gear than the 3.92s probably would have but I never felt like I was lacking in power. The load was approximately 8k

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
The wanderer: you are totally correct. It IS that simple. Tow a lot or in tough terrain? Get the 3.92. Don’t tow often, and tow loads under 5k, and like an extra mpg or two? Get the 3.21. Minor Note: the Maroney mpg for a 1500 4x4 crew 5.7 non-etorq is for a 3.21 rear. The fed allows FCA and other manufactures to use the same Maroney mpg number for all other trims of the same size cab, engine and tranny, and 4x4 drive. There is no Maroney mpg declaration change necessary even if the rear gear ratio is changed, or if the vehicle is lifted of bagged, or the tire sizes changed, or even if the dynamic aero features are changed. So... unless you have a ‘standard’ config 1500 5.7 crew 4x4 (i.e a 3.21 rear, etc) don’t expect to achieve the declared mpg’s. The Rebel is the vehicle at the extreme ‘stretch’ of the declared Maroney mpg of course. But then again, for most truck owners, do we really care that much about mpg? A little, maybe. But not much.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Moe1962

Reaction score
How much does the trailer weight? After a ton of research I’ve come to the conclusion you will need a 2500 or higher if you are towing a camping trailer and having your family ride in the truck. That gets even more reinforced if you end up needing to put anything in the trucks bed. I gave up on buying a camping trailer, if I still planned on buying one I’d buy a 2500 gas or a 3500 diesel. The problem mainly boils down to payload. A tradesman CC 4wd 2500 diesel has 2,250 payload. The gas version has about 1,000 more payload. I would want to be able to tow a 10,000 trailer so that’s 1,500 (@15 tongue weight), that leaves 750. Subtract 600 for my family and that’s only 150 left over for bed cover, bed liner, snacks, and any gear you put in the bed. That’s too close for comfort for me.
Most of the trailers that I'm looking at has a GVWR of around 7000-7500 pounds with all fluids. Without any gear or passengers, it looks like my trucks max is 6800. I am holding off on getting the trailer now until I can do more research and make sure that I get what I want and not be unsafe while towing. I know the truck will haul more than the 6800 pounds, but there is always the what if's. I've already bought the truck, based on numbers I saw before I bought it, so buying a 2500 isn't in the budget. What I didn't see, is the gear ratio making the difference. I wanted a toy hauler so that I could carry my motorcycle with me on trips, so still in the research phase now. Might have to give up the idea.

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
Don’t give up on the idea. I got a really nice 4000 lb, 21 ft ‘hybrid’ camping trailer for my family of 4 (full side slide-out and both ends flop down with tent tops for sleeping beds. Maybe 28 ft when fully opened. Bath, shower, full kitchen, A/C, outside gas grill as well, and outside H&C water...everything your wife and kids ever need). You don’t need a 7500 lb trailer. I throw dirt bikes in the box, sometimes the wheeler. I tow the trailer with a standard load-leveling hitch. I’ve been using my old 5.3 F150 with normal rear, and it has never let me down. In the Rockies, Appalachians, and Adirondack. My 5.3 went 170k without issue. I now have a new Ram 1500 5.7 with a 3.21 rear, and I fully expect no issues next summer, or a dozen summers thereafter.

Moe1962

Reaction score
That might be the way I have to go. Just all of the trailers that I have looked at, other than the pop up campers, are around 5100 dry. I could still just not fill the water tank and carry on, but if I got to someplace other than a campground, I will be stuck without water.

Moe1962

Reaction score
Don’t give up on the idea. I got a really nice 4000 lb, 21 ft ‘hybrid’ camping trailer for my family of 4 (full side slide-out and both ends flop down with tent tops for sleeping beds. Maybe 28 ft when fully opened. Bath, shower, full kitchen, A/C, outside gas grill as well, and outside H&C water...everything your wife and kids ever need). You don’t need a 7500 lb trailer. I throw dirt bikes in the box, sometimes the wheeler. I tow the trailer with a standard load-leveling hitch. I’ve been using my old 5.3 F150 with normal rear, and it has never let me down. In the Rockies, Appalachians, and Adirondack. My 5.3 went 170k without issue. I now have a new Ram 1500 5.7 with a 3.21 rear, and I fully expect no issues next summer, or a dozen summers thereafter.

Can you post a picture of your camper? I would like to see what it looks like and brand, since that may be my option.

bbbeeennnjjjeee

Reaction score
All valid points but if you want to lift it, big bigger tires on, and ever see 8th gear (especially at altitude), 3.92 is your only choice.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I’ve said it in the past and will re-emphasize it that I’d rather be over prepared to tow than under prepared, unless I was in country like the Florida flatlands and only occasionally towed a heavy boat. For all other terrain and especially the frontal area of a larger TT or 5’er, 3.92 is a better choice of gearing.
The 3.21 will pull them, just not quite as easily.

Theres no perfect truck, something has to give, ie. power and fuel economy are on the opposite ends, otherwise we’d all be using the V6.

Moe1962

Reaction score
So I finally found the toy hauler I wanted, but first, since I haven't set up my signature yet, I will start there. I have a 1500 Big Horn quad cab, 4X4, 5.7 VVT Engine, 3.21 gear ratio and level 2 equipment package. The Trailer is a Forest River FSX260RT, weighing around 4700#'s dry. I picked it up yesterday and the truck pulled it perfectly. Using the info here, I installed the Trailer Brake, as other have, so it slows as expected. I wanted to see how everything would perform, so I took a few back roads, city street, along with a highway. No issues with acceleration, stopping or lack of power. Without the trailer, I got an average or 22 MPG on the way to work that morning. I was expecting the gas mileage to drop significantly, however, driving a mix of country roads with a few hills, city streets and highway with a moderately steep bridge, my average after 47 miles to get home was still at 16.5 MPG (using the trucks display). So now I'm a happy camper, no pun intended. Great site and it helped me out a lot. Thanks everyone.

airgas1998

Reaction score
I think the debate is simple: if your truck is multi-use and often a daily driver, and you tow stuff that is 5000# or under for boating or typical light weight travel trailers, then a 3.21 is fine, and you’ll get better gas mileage during the 90% of mileage when you probably aren’t towing. If you tow stuff greater than 5000#, then go for the 3.92... but if you are towing frequently, or for work, then a 2500 or 3500 is much more purpose-built for towing and carrying loads. Net: there is a reason that 1500’s and F150’s are called ‘Light Duty Trucks’. Too many customers think a light duty truck should be able to do anything... and the market-savvy manufacturers are jumping all over that - by stretching the truth about what their real world light duty trucks can actually do, especially a crew cab with people on-board and gear in the box... exactly as the previous blogger pointed out. I just took delivery of a crew cab Laramie with a 3.21, and it tows my boats, 4500 lb travel trailer, and 3000 lb rated utility trailer just fine. It stickered for just under $64k, and I got it for $46k, by waiting (patiently) for a year and taking delivery on 6/31... which is also the best timing for any purchase of a model year ending truck. FYI, I left off the bagged suspension and city-slicker auto running boards... since they won’t work within 5 years on salt-laden upper Northeast roads.

this....

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
Can you post a picture of your camper? I would like to see what it looks like and brand, since that may be my option.

Moe1962...I don’t have any of the camper pics on my iPad I’m using tonite... but it’s a Starcraft 21SSO. I got it new, way back in 2002 - but it still is like new and works good for me. I’d suggest you google Starcraft to see if they are still making it. Before I bought/ordered it, I found that going to a lot of RV shows was the best way to see what’s out there, and find the best camper for my needs.

Moe1962

Reaction score
Moe1962...I don’t have any of the camper pics on my iPad I’m using tonite... but it’s a Starcraft 21SSO. I got it new, way back in 2002 - but it still is like new and works good for me. I’d suggest you google Starcraft to see if they are still making it. Before I bought/ordered it, I found that going to a lot of RV shows was the best way to see what’s out there, and find the best camper for my needs.

I found the one that works for me. It's a Forest River FSX260RT.

Users who are viewing this thread