5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Android Auto and USB Questions

SickSix

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just got my Limited last week and am trying to learn about the best way to use this massive beautiful screen and all the USB ports. For reference, I have a OnePlus 7 Pro, using USB-C.

1. What is the best way to make Android Auto start when I get in the truck? Shouldn't it just automatically start when I plug in my phone? Do I need to start the truck, then plug in the phone... vice-versa... or does it matter?

2. I noticed when I plug into USB 2, AA wouldn't work, but it does in USB 1. Is that normal?

3. I noticed the border around the USB ports stays lit all the time, even when the truck is off, locked, and no key nearby. Is that normal? The ports under the 12in screen, and those in the back of the center console.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone, just got my Limited last week and am trying to learn about the best way to use this massive beautiful screen and all the USB ports. For reference, I have a OnePlus 7 Pro, using USB-C.

1. What is the best way to make Android Auto start when I get in the truck? Shouldn't it just automatically start when I plug in my phone? Do I need to start the truck, then plug in the phone... vice-versa... or does it matter?

2. I noticed when I plug into USB 2, AA wouldn't work, but it does in USB 1. Is that normal?

3. I noticed the border around the USB ports stays lit all the time, even when the truck is off, locked, and no key nearby. Is that normal? The ports under the 12in screen, and those in the back of the center console.
1. Best way is to start the truck and then plug your phone in.
2. Only port #1 is for data, #2 is for charging only. That's fine.
3. USB ports in this beautifully made and engineered truck stays on for two hours for you to charge whatever you need, Free of charge, Courtesy of FCA.
Looks like everything works as it should.
Congrats on your new truck and have fun!

SickSix

Reaction score
So I played around with it a little longer and answered some of my own questions

#1. Yep, start the truck first, let the UConnect load, then plug in the phone. Did that a couple times and it worked great. It also helps to unlock the phone first.

#2. I had a USB thumb drive with MP3 music files in the #2 USB-A port, and the phone cord in the #2 USB-C port. Owner's manual says only 1 port can transmit data from one port at a time. SOLUTION: move USB thumb drive to #1 port USB-A, leave phone cord in #2 USB-C port. Everything works simultaneously now.

SickSix

Reaction score
3. USB ports in this beautifully made and engineered truck stays on for two hours for you to charge whatever you need, Free of charge, Courtesy of FCA.
#3. Interesting, I didn't know that. I feel like it had been longer than 2 hours when I saw the lit up ports, from when I last left the truck. I'll have to check it again tonight. Thanks.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I always start the truck then plug my phone in, put on seatbelt, etc. This allows the HU to go through startup by the time I'm ready to go. I've found that if I get in, start the truck, immediately put it in reverse then the camera will stay on even when I shift to drive. Giving it 5-10 seconds to get going solves that. The biggest complaint I have about AA in this truck is I can't move the AA screen to the bottom. I'd love to put the map at the bottom when I'm just driving around town and don't need it, and have the media tab or climate control at the top.

SickSix

Reaction score
Oh, that reminds me of another question that I probably already know the answer to. Is it possible to make Android Auto take up the whole screen like you can with the built-in navigation? My guess is no.:cry:

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh, that reminds me of another question that I probably already know the answer to. Is it possible to make Android Auto take up the whole screen like you can with the built-in navigation? My guess is no.:cry:
If there is I haven't found a way. I'd love to have a full screen google map.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
FYI - All four USB ports under the screen are data capable.
The only port that is charge-only is the one inside the center console (under the lid).

Cheers,

RRRAAAAMMMM2020

Reaction score
Hi everyone, sorry to Jack an old thread. I just picked up a 2020 Ram 1500 Sport and Android Auto and all the USB's under the 12" screen don't work at all. Is it a blown fuse (no light visible)

Dustin_Tarditi

Reaction score
Does it charge from those ports? If it charges the data should work to, if you've got a good cord.

I have a center seat, so my ports are on the driver side of the center stack, but they work/connect as soon as I plug my phone in. I have my AA settings on my phone to automatically connect to new vehicles, FWIW.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread